Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best testing kit for pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Best testing kit for pool

I am somewhat new here. We have an inground pool with sand filter. Last year, we had issues with algae. I was told by many on here that I should invest in a good testing kit. We just had the standard kit and I am now looking for a better kit so this year, if I run into any problems like last year, I can come on here with some real numbers.

Any suggestions of an affordable test kit for hubby and I this year?
    7+ years, inground, 25,000 gallon, vinyl, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best testing kit for pool

Welcome to the forum

You can read about the recommended test kits here: pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

The fav around here is the TF100. Excellent service, same quality Taylor chems, most bang for the buck (more testing chems). TFTest Kits is owned by Dave, duraleigh, who also owns this site, TFP.

Link in my sig
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP suziequsie2945
    I'm a new pool owner and had a green pool
    I bought the TF100 kit with the xl option and it was really easy to learn how to use it
    With the help from everyone here I now have a sparkling clean pool
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

I also recommend the TF-100, and feel the Taylor K-2006 is a distant second choice, the SpeedStir makes a nice upgrade to the kit, if it is in your budget, but is certainly not required.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

TF-100, and when you say "affordable" think of value. The test kit will allow you to better manage your water quality which means less stress, less work, less hassles.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

.....and no more trips to the pool store to have your water 'tested'

Same time, gas, and money You will be able to test accurately anytime you want without leaving home.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys! I read about them and am certainly leaning towards the TF-100. I just wanted to make sure the type of filter didn't matter and the test kit was compatible with all types of filters.

My husband was the one who cared for the pool all of the time, but he works a ton and I am home most of the time with our two small kids so I want to help. Last year, I worked so hard to get that pool cleared from algae since he doesn't have much free time on his hands.

Anyway, I kind of feel like a bit of a lost soul through all of this since I don't know a ton about pools.

The pool is being opened next week. Once I get it opened and do my first testing, can I come back here with some numbers for help on where to start? I mean, I need like a basic 101 training

Also, where is the best site to purchase the TF-100 from?

8. Back To Top    #8

http://tftestkits.net/

If your opening the pool next week than you need the kit NOW, don't wait until after opening to do this. You also need to read pool school several times (link in up right corner).

It's not that hard to test water and stay on top of it, by the end of 1 summer you will have it down to memory and will be a pro, it's really quite easy, alot easier than ridding a pool of algae.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

9. Back To Top    #9

TF-100. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    If your opening the pool next week than you need the kit NOW, don't wait until after opening to do this. You also need to read pool school several times (link in up right corner).
    This is great advice. The fact that you came here before you even opened the pool and not after spending $500 on nonsense at the pool store speaks volumes. Pool School is a lot of information to take in, so read over and over until you get the kit. If you can browse some of the threads, that will help immensely as well. Think of Pool School as the classroom, and everyone else's experience as your clinicals. If you feel overwhelmed, just back away from the computer and come back later. You'll get it, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by suziequsie2945
    My husband actually used to care for the pool but he works a ton and I am home most of the time with our two small kids. Last year, I worked so hard to get that pool cleared from algae (I am definitely more of the perfectionist in the household) since he doesn't have much free time on his hands.
    We've got three little ones at home, so I know exactly what you mean. It will be a little bit of work to get everything opened and balanced at first, but once you get to maintenance mode, you're probably looking at less than 5 minutes of mindless work per day to keep it beautiful.

And welcome to the forum!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, great! Ordered the kit and it should be here by tomorrow. The pool is to be opened this Thursday or Friday.

When should I first test, and which tests should I start with? (If this information is already spelled out somewhere on this forum please direct me there ) Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Test everything and post it up after the pool is full and circulated for at least 1 hour.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

12. Back To Top    #12

I notice there isn't an article for opening inground pools. Why is that? That would be so helpful. We're actually having the pool place open it as they do every year but I am looking forward to doing all of the testing myself and come here for advice this year. I am not sure what exactly they add to the pool upon opening since this is my first year getting fully involved. I will test it after its up and running and post the results.

13. Back To Top    #13

In my mind there is no such thing as "opening" a pool (although I live in AZ )

All you have to do is pull any plugs, fill the pool, connect the equipment, and fire it up. Then do a full set of test results to determine what should be adjusted.

You should not add ANYTHING to the pool just because you are "opening" ... which is why I would never pay someone to "open" the pool since they may blindly screw up the chemistry by throwing stuff in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok, pool is being opened as we speak. Water looks great. I am going to test after the filter has been running for an hour or so and then come back with my numbers. Since I am new at this (not a new pool owner, but a new "manager" of a pool) and an amateur who will need help with how much chemical to add, etc., should I post back here or Just Getting Started?

I think this year I am going to mostly do the testing and have my husband do more the physical stuff like adding chemicals etc., and we definitely want to come here for all the advice this year for a trouble free pool!

15. Back To Top    #15

Just keep posting here. Try to use poolcalculator.com to determine how much of each chemical you need to get a desired effect.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Post back here so people have a history of your situation.

You doing the testing and telling your husband how much of XYZ to add each time will work okay, unless you have to go through the shock process which we will know soon. During shocking, which could last for days/weeks depending on how bad your pool water is, Hourly testing could be required and chemical adjustment (adding bleach) could be required. MA Muriatic Acid is the one chemical that you should be extremely cautions with, and you may not need to use it, or not very often.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing