Help! I need some guidance on a replacement pump

jugger2500

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
South Eastern PA
At the end of last season we got a leak and the pump ran dry. It appears to be fried.

I need to get a new pump, but I am unsure if I should replace it with a similar pump (which I think was oversized), or get something smaller and more efficient.

The pool is a standard 8200 Gal Vinyl 18' AG Vogue Pool

The filter is a 150lb Sand filter it is Hayward Pro Series model s180t. It states the following on the label: effective filtration area: 1.75 ft^2, filtration rate: 20 GPM/ft^2, filtration and backwash design flow rate: 35 GPM, Maximum working pressure: 50 PSI. It's a 150lb Hayward Sand filter

The pump has several labels on it, so I am slightly confused by that. One label states Maxim and American Products on it (which I think might be a subdivision of pentair). But another label says Magnetek (maybe they make the motor that the pump uses?). Another label says "HP 1.5 SPL" which I am guessing means it's a 1.5 HP. And finally the last label with most of the vital information says: Volts: 115, Amps: 12.0, Hz: 60, RPM: 3450, AMB: 40 deg C, SF: ----. There is a very old thread where some others from this board tried to help me figure out what this pump was that thread is at http://www.troublefreepool.com/i-think-i-need-some-help-from-the-experts-t8085.html

There are no water features, just a normal return, I am using an Intex SWG but doubt that has any bearing on anything.

So, ultimately my question is, what size and type of pump would be appropriate? 1hp single speed? 1/2hp single speed? 1/2hp 2-speed? I really just want to make sure it has enough power to keep the pool clean, for vacuuming, and for back-washing while not impacting the electric bill too much.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can provide.

The SPL, I think means it had a service factor less than 1. So in reality, I think that is a 1 or 1.25 sfhp pump.

I would suggest looking for something less than 1 hp and 2 speeds.

The 1.5 SPL pump is equivalent to a 1 HP up rated pump which is equivalent to a 3/4 HP full rated pump. Also, since it is an AG pump it is probably on the smaller side anyway. But a 3/4 HP up rated Dynamo or Optiflo might be a good fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.