Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! I need some guidance on a replacement pump

1. Back To Top    #1

South Eastern PA

Help! I need some guidance on a replacement pump

At the end of last season we got a leak and the pump ran dry. It appears to be fried.

I need to get a new pump, but I am unsure if I should replace it with a similar pump (which I think was oversized), or get something smaller and more efficient.

The pool is a standard 8200 Gal Vinyl 18' AG Vogue Pool

The filter is a 150lb Sand filter it is Hayward Pro Series model s180t. It states the following on the label: effective filtration area: 1.75 ft^2, filtration rate: 20 GPM/ft^2, filtration and backwash design flow rate: 35 GPM, Maximum working pressure: 50 PSI. It's a 150lb Hayward Sand filter

The pump has several labels on it, so I am slightly confused by that. One label states Maxim and American Products on it (which I think might be a subdivision of pentair). But another label says Magnetek (maybe they make the motor that the pump uses?). Another label says "HP 1.5 SPL" which I am guessing means it's a 1.5 HP. And finally the last label with most of the vital information says: Volts: 115, Amps: 12.0, Hz: 60, RPM: 3450, AMB: 40 deg C, SF: ----. There is a very old thread where some others from this board tried to help me figure out what this pump was that thread is at

There are no water features, just a normal return, I am using an Intex SWG but doubt that has any bearing on anything.

So, ultimately my question is, what size and type of pump would be appropriate? 1hp single speed? 1/2hp single speed? 1/2hp 2-speed? I really just want to make sure it has enough power to keep the pool clean, for vacuuming, and for back-washing while not impacting the electric bill too much.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can provide.
    8200 Gal Vinyl 18' AG Vogue Pool
    150lb Hayward Sand filter with 1-1/2 HP Maxim Pump
    Intex SWG
    Some of the most helpful links for pool owners: Pool School | Pool Calculator | The best test kit | Chlorine/CYA chart

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Help! I need some guidance on a replacement pump

The SPL, I think means it had a service factor less than 1. So in reality, I think that is a 1 or 1.25 sfhp pump.

I would suggest looking for something less than 1 hp and 2 speeds.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

1½ SPL is a little less than 1 hp as JB said. I agree with him. I'd look for a 1 sfhp (service factor * horse power) with two speeds.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

The 1.5 SPL pump is equivalent to a 1 HP up rated pump which is equivalent to a 3/4 HP full rated pump. Also, since it is an AG pump it is probably on the smaller side anyway. But a 3/4 HP up rated Dynamo or Optiflo might be a good fit.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner