Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Introducing and question

1. Back To Top    #1

Introducing and question

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, new member My back ground in pools is zero been doing allot of reading and trying to understand the chemistry..

I do have a question my filter seems to be getting air everytime the pump is off, then once it turns on at night it always has air, so I have to release the air from the pressure release valve in top, anyone have any idea why that happens, can it be the gasket the seals the filter housing in the middle?

thanks

jaime
    10K gallon IG, pebble with waterfall; Pentair cartridge filter; 1 1/2 HP pump; Eco Matic SWG Zodiac Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Introducing and question

Welcome to TFP!

Is there air in the pump basket? Does the filter fill with air when the pump is running? Or does the filter just drain after the pump is off?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

there is no air in the basket, it seems to me that its draining when its off
    10K gallon IG, pebble with waterfall; Pentair cartridge filter; 1 1/2 HP pump; Eco Matic SWG Zodiac Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Well if it drains when they pump is off, then there must be a leak somewhere around the filter. Any wetness? Although the leak could let air in, but not let water out when the pump is on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

am hoping is the gasket because this started happening allot worse once i took the filter housing apart to clean the filters and the o-ring looks very old, am thinking the people that owned the house before didnt do a good job at keeping up with the pool, the filter housing had like 8" of sand in the bottom and the filters were very dirty

thanks for the help