Help... Pool not holding chlorine

Sam's and Costco have the (3)121oz 8.25% cases usually around $8.50. That seems to be a decent price in the south. Just look for the plain Clorox and avoid the Fresh Meadow scented stuff. The local Sam's only carried the unscented kind and just recently started carrying both types. So look carefully at the boxes.

So the Taylor test kit came today and these are the numbers I have so far:

FC - 25ppm
CC - 1ppm
CYA - 90ppm

We have turned off the automatic chlorine feeder which had the pucks and have just been adding bleach. So far we have done about 6 gallons and the last one was added at 9pm last night. Based on these numbers, what is the appropriate course of action? I know I am done shocking once CC is less than .5ppm and I only lose 1ppm overnight but if I continue to add bleach, won't I just be raising my overall FC as well? Help!

kcvecc said:
So the Taylor test kit came today and these are the numbers I have so far:

FC - 25ppm
CC - 1ppm
CYA - 90ppm

We have turned off the automatic chlorine feeder which had the pucks and have just been adding bleach. So far we have done about 6 gallons and the last one was added at 9pm last night. Based on these numbers, what is the appropriate course of action? I know I am done shocking once CC is less than .5ppm and I only lose 1ppm overnight but if I continue to add bleach, won't I just be raising my overall FC as well? Help!
You want to maintain FC above 23, using pool calculator recommendations. 25 is above 23, so you're good. Keep filtering, keep brushing, recheck it again in a couple hours and dose it again if it needs it. Note: you don't need to add bleach a gallon at a time, either, if pool calculator says 2 qts, add 2 qts.

Thanks. We have since checked it again and levels are holding so we will recheck in the morning now. Just curious, if all goes well and we are done shocking, what is a reasonable time estimate for chlorine to come down to swimmable levels - weather here looks sunny and 70's.

kcvecc said:
Thanks. We have since checked it again and levels are holding so we will recheck in the morning now. Just curious, if all goes well and we are done shocking, what is a reasonable time estimate for chlorine to come down to swimmable levels - weather here looks sunny and 70's.
How long does it take you to change?

If you've passed the three tests, jump in! It's safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA.

Ok... so this mornings results:

FC - 20.5
CC - .5
PH - 7.2
CYA - 90

Here's my question.... it was craziness here this morning so we didn't test first thing. Pool had over 2hrs sun exposure. Should I add more bleach to get the level back up to 23 and just assume that we lost more than 1 overnight?

It's hard to say if you passed or not. I would keep up at or close to your FC shock level and do it again tonight.

We would still recommend getting that cya down, it will be easier to maintain in the long run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.