Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken Bottom Drains - Temp Fix Ideas

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken Bottom Drains - Temp Fix Ideas

SO we are having a party on Saturday, and the screws off both of the bottom drains are broken, so they need to be repaired - 10ft deep, and to deep for my belly to hold down and repair.
    SO... I was thinking..... Let me know if okay to do for temporary.
    Was thinking about putting weights on the bottom of the covers to hold them in place for the day. Do Small enough Fishing Weights, so worst case if the weights broke off, it would be small enough to make it into the basket.

Do you think it might work? Or if I put the suction only to the bottom drains during the party that the suction would hold them in place?

Give me a YEA OR NA

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Broken Bottom Drains - Temp Fix Ideas

Why not just shut off the bottom drains? Then there's no worry about entrapment, and if someone drops a toy, it won't get drawn up the pipe to clog it. You could also cover it with a suction cup antislip bathtub shower mat.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Broken Bottom Drains - Temp Fix Ideas

It would be dangerous for anyone to use the pool while the bottom drain covers are loose or broken. They should be properly replaced with up-to-code covers before anyone swims. Putting all of the suction on the bottom drains, with insecure covers, would make a dangerous situation even more dangerous.