Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie on Day 7

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie on Day 7

I did my battle with algae and for the past three days we've passed our OCLT. I had to replace a part on my sand filter and initially filled it with the wrong size sand. Yesterday we emptied the filter and put the correct sand in it. My water is still a milky white, though it has gotten a tiny bit better compared to yesterday. I put DE in the filter today, and I've ordered a slime bag but don't have it yet. Tomorrow the plan is to vacuum the pool and maybe add more DE after I backwash it.

Any other suggestions? My chemistry seems ok:
    FC 5
    CC 0
    Ph 7.6
    TA 80
    Calcium don't check
    CYA 40

Am I missing something, or just being impatient?
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie on Day 7

Being impatient. Sand filter take awhile to filter out the dead algae carcasses. I would do the DE like you plan.

Go ahead and measure CH and post it (unless you are certain it is low).

MOD alert: By the way I noticed that you are starting a new thread almost every time you post. I was going to combine them...but there were a bunch, so I gave up. How about from now on until your pool clears, keep all your posts related to that in this thread. Thanks.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll test for it. I haven't been because my pool is abg vinyl. Should I be checking it regularly?
    Roanoke, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by karmazrevenge
    Should I be checking it regularly?
    No need to if it is not high and your not using cal-hypo. I just suggested testing since clouding can sometimes be caused by high CH combined with other factors, even in a vinyl pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh ok. I only shock with liquid bleach, but I'll test for it just in case my fill water is high in calcium. I'll test first thing in the morning and post my result
    Roanoke, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, Calcium test completed and it is 30. Linen, I just saw your statement about not posting new threads....I will make sure I post to the same one from now on. Not really sure why I didn't think of that myself....duh.

Checked the pool this morning before I left for work - still cloudy but maybe a little better. Hard to tell that early in the morning. Vacuum will go in this evening. Here's hoping for the best
    Roanoke, VA

7. Back To Top    #7

Calcium test completed and it is 30.
    Then your cloudiness is not calcium cloudy...no need to test calcium again for awhile unless you start adding it.

Not really sure why I didn't think of that myself....duh.
    No problem, it happens all the time

I would keep using the DE until you are crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Will do. I'm trying to post pics to this forum, but wow is it ever difficult. I just got a pbotobucket app and account...will that allow me to post pics here?
    Roanoke, VA

9. Back To Top    #9

Use the "url" button in the "post a reply" editor and insert the url link to the photobucket pictures inside.

10. Back To Top    #10

Can someone double check me please? Last night I brought the pool up to shock level (19). I checked the FC this morning and it was 17. When I got home from work the FC was 5. That seems like a lot of loss for the FC. I normally lose 2ppm during a normal sunny day. The water is still murky, though adding DE to the filter did seem to help. I just brought the FC back up to shock level and I will test again first thing in the morning (OCLT) because I'm starting to think the green algae I've been fighting wasn't completey killed off (I passed my OCLT....maybe I did it wrong???)

Does this sound reasonable? At first I thought the water was cloudy because of the filter issues I had. Then I wondered if having the wrong sand in the filter caused the cloudiness. We know it's not a high calcium level since it tested out at 30. Here's the rest of my test results:
    FC 19 (as of 10pm)
    TA 80
    Ph 7.6
    CYA 30 (down a little from a few days ago. All the backwashing??)
    CH 30

Stay tuned for pics. I'm still trying to post them (not tech savvy, even with good instructions).
    Roanoke, VA

11. Back To Top    #11

Day 1. YUCK!!!!
    Roanoke, VA

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds like you let it come down too early. If you lost 2ppm overnight and another 12 during the day, you're not done shocking.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

Day 2. Not green anymore, but very cloudy.
    Roanoke, VA

14. Back To Top    #14

Day 3. Clearer. This is where we're stuck.
    Roanoke, VA

15. Back To Top    #15

That doesn't look so bad.

It didn't go green overnight, it won't clear overnight, either.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Why was I able to post the first picture, but not the rest? I had to use the url option.

I probably did stop shocking too soon. Lesson learned....the hard way. Ugh!
    Roanoke, VA

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    That doesn't look so bad.

It didn't go green overnight, it won't clear overnight, either.
    The pics aren't the best. The water has this funky grey-brown tint on the bottom. The vacuum didn't clear it up, and with the FC bouncing around I guess I'm still in the fight.
    Roanoke, VA

18. Back To Top    #18

Why was I able to post the first picture, but not the rest? I had to use the url option.

Because you made a typo. Should be bracket url bracket. You're missing one. But I just copied and pasted and saw it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

I fixed your links, your link was not between the ][...I also changed the second and third pic to IMG instead of URL (just like you had done the first pick).

I agree, you stopped the shocking process too soon. You need to pass all three end of shocking criteria in the pool school article (they are also in my sig).

20. Back To Top    #20

Linen, I definitely haven't made it to #3! Thanks for fixing my links. I'm in the process of bringing my FC up to 24 tonight and I'll check ot again first thing in the morning. I'm positive I still have active algae. That's ok though...I'll win this war!
    Roanoke, VA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast