Aqua Rite generating while pool pump is off

May 26, 2013
We have a 13,000 gallon salt water pool and use an Aqua Rite Chlorinator (aqua rite 939001d) to generate our chlorine. We have checked the pool chemistry at our local Leslies and all seems well (salt 2900 ppm). The problem we are running into is the Aqua rite Chlorinator (reads 2800ppm) is running fine while the pump is running, yet when the pump is turned off the Chlorinator continues to run (generating light is green and the no flow light remains off). If left overnight, the salt reading drops to 1200-1500 ppm and when the pump is turned on again the salt reading never recovers to an accurate reading and stops generating chlorine. The only way I have been able to get an accurate salt reading is to turn the Chlorinator off and on several times (waiting 30-60 sec. after turning the system on, this way the salt reading increases each time until it reaches 2800ppm. Here is a list of hings I have tried:

1. Cleaned salt cell with a mild acid solution
2. Checked for loose wires
3. Attempted to attach the small red (4wire) harness on the salt cell which runs the generate remotely. (No change in performance). I have since disconnected this.
4. Checked wire connections on our Jandy 6613 AquaLink RS Standard Power Center and all seems in order there.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I'm no expert, but my 1st reaction is as follows:

1. Why aren't you running main pump 24/7 as they're designed for?
2. Wiring must be wrong as my Jandy chlorine generator only runs or is powered ON only when main pump is on. How can you operate Chlorine generator while there isn't any water flow?
3. If wiring correct; faulty generator?

okathome123 said:
Why aren't you running main pump 24/7 as they're designed for?
Because it is a waste of $ on electricity and totally unnecessary.

The SWG should be powered from the timer that runs the pump. The flow switch should be a backup to prevent this, but maybe it is bad?

The cell generates hydrogen gas as it works. If it runs with no water flow, then you might get an explosion. You should disconnect the cell power cord from the power supply until you can resolve the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.