TF-100 Kit and Test Results

Plankton

Apr 13, 2008
Hi All!
I received my TF-100 kit about two weeks ago and while I have tested for Chlorine, TA & PH I had not gotten around to test for everything else. Well today was a nice enough day that I finally did and here are my results.
I have a 17500 gallon inground plaster pool. The pool is about 9 years old. It cam with the house and we just bought the house last August.
FC-4
PH-7.8
TA-100
CYA-60
CH-400

I know the PH is high, I will be lowering it with acid tonight. I ordered dry acid last week and they can't seem to get a 50lb bucket 23miles to the store in a week. So I will get Muriatic acid tonight and add that.
Other than the PH do you see anything else I should be worried about? I hope I provided all the info you needed. I know there is a sticky about that, but now I forgot where it is as I am going from memory. I will also post pics.Thanks Again!

Plankton aka John

With CYA at 60 you want to keep FC around 5 to 9 and never below 5.

Your calcium saturation is a little on the high side. It isn't really a problem yet, but you don't want CH going up any further and you should be careful not to let PH get too high.

Hey John and welcome!

Please list all your pool and equipment info in your signature! This will be a big help.

Other than pH, you can do some tweaking w/TA & watch the CH.

Also, use Jason's Pool calculator (link in my sig) to calculate the amount of chlorine to maintain proper FC level w/your CYA level of 60.

Have you tested your fill water?

We're waiting on the pix :p

Thanks all for the advice and help. I updated my sig to reflect what I have. Now for the questions and corrections :-D I will watch my PH and if I am correct , I can lower my TA by aeration, correct? I incorrectly stated my free chlorine was 3 when I should have stated it was Total Chlorine, sorry!
I have not tested my fill water, should I test it for the same things I test the pool for? I apologize for all the questions, but thanks for the patience. :)

Thanks All! As a veteran of boards on the net, I should know better to read the stickies first before I ask the same questions over again :oops:
Just a couple of other things, the pool water is clear, not crystal, but on a scale of 1-5 I'd give it about a 4. The temp is between 74 to 78 depending on the heat of the day. It has been chilly the last couple of days so it is around 74. I run my filter for 4 hours every night and the pool load is light. Right I am using a inline chlorinator with 3in pucks. Its just myself, my daughter, and my wife along with a couple of kids every other weekend or so. Thanks Again.
P.S. Great Kit! I received it very fast and will reccomend it to anyone who I know who has a pool! Thanks Again

Hi, John,

I would suggest two things to fine tune your pool that haven't yet been mentioned.

1. Increase your pump run time. Four hours daily is pretty low and I think contributing to your lack of water clarity.

2. You need to switch chlorine sources. The pucks continually add CYA to your pool and you are at the max recommended. If you continue to use them, your CYA will be over the top soon rendering your chlorine much less effective.

Watch your pool closely. You are obviously fine but at the "top end of comfortable" for pH, CH, and CYA and your Cl is marginally low.

Dave & All,
Once again I can't thank everybody enough for the help and advice! I will increase my FC and the run time of my pump. I do plan on going to the BBB method after everything I've read about the chlorine tablets increasing the CYA to unacceptable levels. I am going to lower my Ph and my TA this weekend and then switch to the BBB method. Thanks Again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.