New pool need pump

HamburgerChef

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2013
Indianapolis Indiana
I Ordered a Matrix 24' yesterday! Happy days! Now I need help.

There are so many different pumps available. What should I buy. I already have a Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 filter, bought a year ago. It holds 350lbs of sand. Also the pool is coming with a 20' solar water heater. The pool should hold 15,000 gallons. So that means I need a flow rate of 31.25gpm to make the pool turn over once during the hottest part of the day in 8 hours. I was looking at Pentair Whisperflo 1/2hp but they all seem to be for in ground pools. Any advice on a pump for an above ground pool?

I would look at the hayward matrix 1 hp 2-speed or the pentair dyanamo 1 hp 2-speed (maybe even 3/4 hp 2speed). Any of those will have plenty of flow for your pool, and most of the time you will run it on low.

Where are you going mount your solar panels? How many are you getting and what size?

Where do you live/what is your climate?

That's only about 11% coverage, generally you need at least 50% coverage to make a significant difference in your pool temp. The best/easiest thing you can do to warm the pool is to keep a solar cover on it at night.

It not that the solar panels will do nothing, but the solar cover will do more. You could get the panel with the thought that you may need to get more in the future to make a difference.

When buying a solar cover don't worry bout thickness...most covers regardless of thickness only last a couple of years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.