Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool need pump

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool need pump

I Ordered a Matrix 24' yesterday! Happy days! Now I need help.

There are so many different pumps available. What should I buy. I already have a Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 filter, bought a year ago. It holds 350lbs of sand. Also the pool is coming with a 20' solar water heater. The pool should hold 15,000 gallons. So that means I need a flow rate of 31.25gpm to make the pool turn over once during the hottest part of the day in 8 hours. I was looking at Pentair Whisperflo 1/2hp but they all seem to be for in ground pools. Any advice on a pump for an above ground pool?
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Pentair Sanddollar SD-80 75GPM filter, Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner
    (20'x30" solar heater to be installed)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool need pump

I would look at the hayward matrix 1 hp 2-speed or the pentair dyanamo 1 hp 2-speed (maybe even 3/4 hp 2speed). Any of those will have plenty of flow for your pool, and most of the time you will run it on low.

Where are you going mount your solar panels? How many are you getting and what size?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the tip. The panels are 10' by 30". I ordered 2. Plan to set one on the south side of the pool and the other on the south west side possibly with the filter between them.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Where do you live/what is your climate?

That's only about 11% coverage, generally you need at least 50% coverage to make a significant difference in your pool temp. The best/easiest thing you can do to warm the pool is to keep a solar cover on it at night.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I live at 40 degrees latitude in central Indiana.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

In that climate (not much different from here), I would get a solar cover, it will make more difference then the two solar panels (of course you can still use them in addition).

7. Back To Top    #7

The order hasn't shipped yet. I will try and change it to a solar cover. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

It not that the solar panels will do nothing, but the solar cover will do more. You could get the panel with the thought that you may need to get more in the future to make a difference.

When buying a solar cover don't worry bout thickness...most covers regardless of thickness only last a couple of years.

9. Back To Top    #9

The solar heater arrived today. I will use it and even if I only get a couple degrees it will extend the swim season a little. There is a store here that has solar covers for $50. Will pick one up tomorrow.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

What is the proper way to plumb a pool. Solid PVC, won't it rot in the sun. What diameter? Do I need special valves to handle the chemicals in the water? I will need to winterize in the fall.

Links to video or threads would help as well.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner