Skimmer Questions

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
New pool owner here. Two quick questions.

Can there be too much water in the pool for the skimmer to operate effectively? My pool water is almost to the very top of the skimmer.

Also, took a good look at my skimmer for the first time today. I havae one hole on the bottom that has some obvious suction. There is another hole at the bottom of the skimmer that has some sort of plug in it. I havent tried pulling it out. Could this be something left over from winterizing the pool?? Should I try to pull the plug out??

Thanks!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk

As long as the water is below the top of the skimmer it should work fine.

Some skimmers have the floor drain or an equalizer line (looks like a return below the skimmer) plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. If the floor is plumbed to the pad and you have no equalizer line, then it would be common for the 2nd hole to be plugged (although usually this is done with a PVC fitting on the outside).

So you would never see a skimmer with 2 suction holes then right? I just want to make sure I'm not losing some performwnce out of my filter if this indeed a second hole for filtering.

dschribs said:
So you would never see a skimmer with 2 suction holes then right? I just want to make sure I'm not losing some performwnce out of my filter if this indeed a second hole for filtering.

I have one. The second hole goes down to the main drain. You aren't losing any suction by not having both holes open. Only one of mine has suction.

Does your pool have a drain in the deep end? Does it have a separate valve to open and close it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.