Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Questions

New pool owner here. Two quick questions.

Can there be too much water in the pool for the skimmer to operate effectively? My pool water is almost to the very top of the skimmer.

Also, took a good look at my skimmer for the first time today. I havae one hole on the bottom that has some obvious suction. There is another hole at the bottom of the skimmer that has some sort of plug in it. I havent tried pulling it out. Could this be something left over from winterizing the pool?? Should I try to pull the plug out??

Thanks!!

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Questions

As long as the water is below the top of the skimmer it should work fine.

Some skimmers have the floor drain or an equalizer line (looks like a return below the skimmer) plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. If the floor is plumbed to the pad and you have no equalizer line, then it would be common for the 2nd hole to be plugged (although usually this is done with a PVC fitting on the outside).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So you would never see a skimmer with 2 suction holes then right? I just want to make sure I'm not losing some performwnce out of my filter if this indeed a second hole for filtering.

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Never 2 suction lines in one skimmer. Do you have floor drains and are they plumbed to the pad?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    So you would never see a skimmer with 2 suction holes then right? I just want to make sure I'm not losing some performwnce out of my filter if this indeed a second hole for filtering.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk
    I have one. The second hole goes down to the main drain. You aren't losing any suction by not having both holes open. Only one of mine has suction.

Does your pool have a drain in the deep end? Does it have a separate valve to open and close it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool does have a drain on the floor in the deep end yes. Also has a seperate drain to open and close it.