Newbie with a couple SWG questions.

Bdd12

May 30, 2013
South Jersey
Hello everyone! I'm new to the pool thing and have some questions. I have already learned a lot just from looking around, but I know I will have more questions to come, and don't wanna bug the lady at the pool place with stupid questions.

So first let me give you a little background. The pool is at my parents house. My dad handled all the pool stuff, but unfortunately he passed away back in October at a young age, so now I'm taking care of the pool for my mom. We got a new liner put in a year ago. The pool was built in 2003 I believe. We got a SWG about 2 or 3 years ago. We had it opened about 2 weeks ago and just got back from my first water test of the year, here are the results...
FC 0
Ph 7.8
Alkalinity 105
Calcium hardness 125
Stabilizer 20
Salt 2600

I added 3 bags of salt, and 6 pounds of stabilizer. I also hit the two buttons on the SWG for 24 hours of 100% output. I also will add that the pool looks great, and has since we opened it up. Very clear.

So my first question, can you swim in the pool during the 24 hour 100% output? Not a big deal, but I figured I should know.

Second question, how often should I do the 100% output?

Third, solar salt ok instead of "pool" salt? I've heard yes, as long as it is 99.4% pure, and I've also heard you can but it contains organic material which can cause bacteria in your pool.

Fourth, there is a mineral sanitizer installed. The zodiac nature 2 express to be exact. What does that do, and it also says to change the cartridge?

And lastly (for now) it says to clean the SWG, how often and how do I go about doing that?

Thank you everyone!

Welcome to tfp, Bdd12 :wave:

Make sure you review the pool school article for recommended levels for a swg. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Bdd12 said:
So my first question, can you swim in the pool during the 24 hour 100% output? Not a big deal, but I figured I should know.
You can swim up to your shocking FC level (for you cya level). See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock So in your case up to 10 ppm FC until the cya you just added shows up in the water...then the FC level will be higher.

A side note here, it is best to use bleach/liquid chlorine to raise your FC level up to the level you want the swg to maintain...it saves on the swg. I probably would not use the boost cycle.

Bdd12 said:
Third, solar salt ok instead of "pool" salt? I've heard yes, as long as it is 99.4% pure, and I've also heard you can but it contains organic material which can cause bacteria in your pool.
Solar salt is fine, I like to use the stuff that is in crystal form since it dissolves quickly and is cheap.

Bdd12 said:
Fourth, there is a mineral sanitizer installed. The zodiac nature 2 express to be exact. What does that do, and it also says to change the cartridge?
It adds metals to your water (copper for sure) that you do not want...it can stain and cause blond hair to turn green. It is not needed in a properly chlorinated swimming pool.

Bdd12 said:
And lastly (for now) it says to clean the SWG, how often and how do I go about doing that?
I would look at the plates and if they do not have build up (usually white deposits), I wouldn't clean it since cleaning can reduce the life of the cell. I use Vinegar to clean mine, you can also use diluted Muriatic Acid.

Ok the first thing kinda confuses me. I read those charts and articles. When is it safe to swim? After it drops back below 10ppm?

So no reason to change the cartridge on the mineral stabilizer than?

Where do I find the plates in the SWG to see if they need cleaning?

With low CYA, then the shock FC level is 10ppm. Once you raise the CYA up to 70-80ppm as recommended for a SWG, then the shock level is a FC of 30ppm and safe to swim below that.

Definitely do not put more minerals into your water.

What SWG do you have? There should be a cell as the last thing in the plumbing before going back to the pool that can be unscrewed for inspection of the plates that are inside.

found the cell...thanks.

so after coming home and checking the pool water, after it has been running on 100% and after adding 6 pounds of stabilizer about 21 hours ago, the test strip shows little to no FC and just about 0 stabilizer. I'm thinking I need to add some pool "shock" however think I am going to wait until tomorrow morning, because I plan on having some people over tonight and they may want to swim. Any thoughts?

Bdd12 said:
Any thoughts?

Get one of the recommended test kits and stop guessing by using test strips.

Was the stabilizer solid or liquid? How did you add it?

It may not be safe to swim if you can not accurately test and have adequate FC in the water.

Well, you should now not backwash for a week and then you will be able to test the new CYA level ... assume for now that the CYA is the level you targeted. (which was what? looks like you added 30ppm to your current 20ppm?)

Do you have any drop based chlorine test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I know not to backwash, although the people at the pool store and the package said 48 hours not a week. However I dont think that it will be a problem, my pressure has been low since the pool was opened. I didn't know the CYA took that long to take effect or to show up.

And no I do not have any kind of drop tests...yet

In terms of cleaning.......I used to use Vinegar.....just generic stuff that I bought at the store....5% acidity.

However, you can barely see the bubbles and it takes forever......I let it soak all night long once and in the morning there were still a few visible deposits.

Ever since then I've used the muratic acid as some other manufacturers recommend. 4 parts water for every 1 part acid.

In 15-20 minutes it gets cleaner now than it did soaking all night long in vinegar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.