Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reduce TA without affecting PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Reduce TA without affecting PH

TA is 125
    PH is 7.4
    How do I get TA to 80 and not change PH?
    If MA is added TA is reduced and so is PH. What is the best way?
    Thanks to all. Jim
    11.2K gal, IG pebble, 1.5 HP pump single speed, 200 sq ft cartridge filter, built 1997, Taylor K-2006, SWG Hayward T9 6/13, Borax treatment, Return to 6 wall ports 2" pipe from pad to 1.5" pipe, Return to 8 floor outlets 2" pipe, total of two returns, and two suction pipes both 2", Skimmer(1) Main(1), No Spa or other equipment.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reduce TA without affecting PH

What you are asking how to do is not possible.

Read Pool School:
    pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for quick reply and links Jason. Looks like Aeration for me also. Thanks again. Jim
    11.2K gal, IG pebble, 1.5 HP pump single speed, 200 sq ft cartridge filter, built 1997, Taylor K-2006, SWG Hayward T9 6/13, Borax treatment, Return to 6 wall ports 2" pipe from pad to 1.5" pipe, Return to 8 floor outlets 2" pipe, total of two returns, and two suction pipes both 2", Skimmer(1) Main(1), No Spa or other equipment.

4. Back To Top    #4

Reducing TA from 125 to 80 shouldn't take too long. If I were you, I wouldn't bother making a special aeration device, maybe just point your returns upwards.

Also, unless you have a SWG, there's no rush to reduce TA. Just wait until your pH climbs to 7.8, add acid to reduce to 7.2, and repeat.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Why do you want to reduce the TA? What type of chlorine do you use?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by faby3003
    Reducing TA from 125 to 80 shouldn't take too long. If I were you, I wouldn't bother making a special aeration device, maybe just point your returns upwards.

Also, unless you have a SWG, there's no rush to reduce TA. Just wait until your pH climbs to 7.8, add acid to reduce to 7.2, and repeat.
    Good suggestion. However I did pick up parts today to make aeration device, now need to figure out how to connect to wall port. Its a 1" outlet flange attached to what I think is 1.5" pipe. Not sure just yet.

Trying to get correct numbers for Borax application then add SWG.

Thanks for your response. Jim

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Why do you want to reduce the TA? What type of chlorine do you use?
    Going to Borax application then SWG. Just trying to get numbers in order first.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey guys, what do you think of this. Finished my weekend project which was adjusting numbers so that I could do Borax application and salt pool for SWG install later this week. Here are numbers after Borax and Salt added to pool water. Borax sticks are on backorder and should have CYA refreshed by thur. First column is using Taylor K-2006 second column is from free store PAP. Let me have your thoughts Please. Thanks jim
    DATE 06/03/13 Same Day
    FC 8.0 3.0
    CC 0.5 0.0
    TC 8.5 3.0
    PH 7.4 7.4
    TA 75 110
    CH 275 300
    CYA 35 90
    SALT
    K-2006 PAP

9. Back To Top    #9

Looking good! Ignore the pool store results and depend on your own testing.

Your CYA level is low for where you will want it when you get the SWG. You should raise CYA in two or three steps. It is easy to raise CYA further if you add too little, but difficult to lower CYA, so best to sneak up on your target level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by flyboytfp
    Hey guys, what do you think of this. Finished my weekend project which was adjusting numbers so that I could do Borax application and salt pool for SWG install later this week. Here are numbers after Borax and Salt added to pool water. Borax sticks are on backorder and should have CYA refreshed by thur. First column is using Taylor K-2006 second column is from free store PAP. Let me have your thoughts Please. Thanks jim
    DATE 06/03/13 Same Day
    FC 8.0 3.0
    CC 0.5 0.0
    TC 8.5 3.0
    PH 7.4 7.4
    TA 75 110
    CH 275 300
    CYA 35 90
    SALT
    K-2006 PAP
    This is exactly why we say get your own high quality test kit and trust your results! If I was you, I wouldn't even bother with another pool store test again.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is latest test results:
    FC 9.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 75
    CH 250
    CYA 70
    SALT 3600 with K-2006
    SALT 2910 with AquaChek sticks
    Confused as to why FC jumped from 4.5 to 9.5 when only change was CYA from 30 to 70. Any ideals?
    Would I be safe to install ARQ SWG now with these numbers?
    Thanks. Jim

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by flyboytfp
    Here is latest test results:
    FC 9.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 75
    CH 250
    CYA 70
    SALT 3600 with K-2006
    SALT 2910 with AquaChek sticks
    Confused as to why FC jumped from 4.5 to 9.5 when only change was CYA from 30 to 70. Any ideals?
    Would I be safe to install ARQ SWG now with these numbers?
    Thanks. Jim
    You've slowed the UV losses would be my guess.

Yeah, looks like it's time to fire off the SWG.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!