Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy blue water for over a week

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy blue water for over a week

Hey all,

First post. I bought my house and inground pool 2 years ago. I'm going on my third summer. The first two years I had trouble keeping my pool healthy. I would end up having to shock it at least two or three times a season.

We had a cartridge filter but decided to go with a sand filter this summer for ease of vacuuming.

I uncovered the pool almost two weeks ago to find a dark green mess. At the advice of a pool store, I poured in shock and algacide and then started with granular chlorine the next day. I had a lighter green soup.

I've been adding liquid bleach after reading some on this site while I waited for my test kit. Well the kit arrived today.

My results

FC 14.5 PPM
    CC 1.5 PPM
    TA 150
    CYA 60
    PH 7.2

I've been running the filter 24/7. The pool has been a pleasant blue color but so cloudy I can't see the bottom in the shallow end.

I'm really hoping this site can help. Thanks for reading!

Dave
    20K gal. IG. vinyl. 21" Hayward sand. 3/4 hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy blue water for over a week

Welcome to the forum. With a CC of 1.5-------you're right smack dab in the category of needing to shock your pool properly. Please read shocking your pool in pool school and also see the chlorine/cya chart there for shock value you should maintain. Be sure and watch your filter pressure for a need to backwash.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome. I read the shocking article. Is there a table or something that will tell me how many standard size bottles of bleach it will take to raise my FC level 10 ppm?
    20K gal. IG. vinyl. 21" Hayward sand. 3/4 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Irishterrier74
    Thanks for the welcome. I read the shocking article. Is there a table or something that will tell me how many standard size bottles of bleach it will take to raise my FC level 10 ppm?
    Welcome

PoolCalculator.com , your new best friend - after us, of course
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

NOTE: the calculator is great, but make sure you are using the correct % for the bleach you have. 6% was very common, but lately some of us are only finding 8.25%. No big deal, just change out the 6% on the chart with 8.25%. Oh, and be patient. My water is the same. I've vacuumed, am running the filter 24/7, and brush it as often as I can. I just started, so I should have my overnight numbers tomorrow morning. I don't think I have any serious issues, but it will take time for the filter to clear the water. My CC is .5, or a tad below.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)