Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need new DE Filter Casing

1. Back To Top    #1

Need new DE Filter Casing

Is it possible just to get a new de filter casing?....I have an old metal PacFab that is rusted and is starting to have pinhole size leaks on sides. I just put in new filters...only thing I'm seeing online is the whole system with multi-port and sometimes pumps. My filters are 24sq ft...I was told by my pool store that my filter area might be too small for my 12K gallon pool but I inherited this pool, so why would they put a smaller filter in to begin with?
    I would like to get a Hayward filter casing that would work with the 24 sq ft filters. Is it possible just to get the casing?
    12K IG Gunite, DE, 1HP, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need new DE Filter Casing

Usually the filter parts would end up costing almost as much as a new filter.

You are right though that your current filter is a bit too small. We would recommend as minimums:
    178 sqft cartridge
    20" sand
    33 sqft DE
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am going to look into a Hayward de3620. I assume that might work better than the one I have now. I found one for just under $500 free shipping.

I do have some brownish-black staining where algae growth was bad. Other than draining and acid-washing, does the black algae solutions work? I saw some videos of algi ban and lo chlor. What is recommended?
    12K IG Gunite, DE, 1HP, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Just use chlorine in the shock process and the stains should lighten over time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!