LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So I tested this product in 2011 - see here culator-ready-to-test-t33989.html At that time I never had the pool water tested for metals, although I was seeing brownish staining that readily disappeared with a vitamin c tablet.

I'm still getting metal staining that easily lifts off with vitamin c. The pool store near me has a new water testing machine - http://www.lamotte.com/waterlink_spin.html (the old machine was the same company but not the spin type just the regular Waterlink). I think someone here advised that this Waterlink machine was fairly accurate.

So..test before CUlater showed 0.5 copper, test after showed 0.3 (using the Pool store Waterlink Spin). Iron is 0.1 today but I can't remember what it was before (and can't find the paperwork either - will check and see if pool store has it on file in computer).

The bag looked slightly blue so I cut it open. In my 2011 test the power inside stayed white...this is the powder in my new test.

Now the only thing I don't know is what colour the powder was when the bag was new. In 2011 the powder was white when I cut the bag open after using it. I don't know why the manufacturer would now be using blue coloured powder.?? I'm throwing a new bag in tonight and was thinking about opening it to see the colour and then sewing it shut before using it. I know the new copper level is 0.3.

By the way, the bag was in for a couple weeks at least - maybe closer to three weeks. I should have kept better track of how long it was in the water.

p1020218ai.jpg

Just went to the pool store to show the owner my results (we've had a few discussions previously about the CUlator). He cut open a brand new bag and the powder was white inside.

Yes, the raw material is white and it can change color when absorbing metals. On the bottom of this page they show the colors that may occur after metals are absorbed. The color of your bag indicates copper as opposed to iron. So it does apparently work, at least sometimes. It's too bad it's not more consistently reliable for more people, since it's pretty expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.