Lurker now ready to embrace BBB after our first algae bloom!

TanyaK140

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2012
Houston, TX
Joined TFP last summer after we became proud owners of our very first pool. :p On the advice of a friend, we enlisted the help of a pool service professional to teach us how to manage our pool (we wanted to do it ourselves and not have someone coming out to the house each week). Sadly, we followed his prescription of a weekly scoop of Calcium Hypochlorite and 2-3 pucks a week in the automatic chlorine dispenser. :hammer: Our water looked great, and while we didn't swim over the winter months, we used the spa pretty regularly.

We have had a cooler than usual spring this year in Houston, and so just last week as the water temperature finally got into the 80's, we noted a small amount of algae in the pool. We quickly turned to this forum and found all the information we needed! Our FC was low, our CYA and CH were way high (I'll post the before and after values below) and to make a long story short, we embraced the BBB method by turning off those stinking pucks, stocking up on liquid chlorine (10%), and replacing over 60% of our pool water. We have our T100 test kit ordered and are anxiously awaiting its arrival. Then we will have a better idea of where our FC really is and be able to do the overnight tests to see if there are still some organic materials using up our chlorine. Here were our values (using a kit purchased at Leslie's):

Algae Bloom Pool Values:
FC 0.5 (big oops!)
pH 8.2
TA 160
CH 600
CYA 120 (did the dilution test to get this value)

Pool Values (this morning) after >60 % refill of pool water:
FC >5 (T100 test kit is on it's way)
pH 7.8 (this may be lower by now, we added 27 oz muriatic acid earlier)
TA 110
CH 280
CYA 40

We are very happy to have gotten the CH and CYA values within normal range. We were pretty nervous about draining water out of the pool, so we took 30 inches out with the first go, refilled and then removed another 15 inches. We did recheck our values in between draining and while our values had dropped significantly, the pool calculator determined that another 20-25% would get us in a much better place. So, we proceeded to drain again and are glad that we did.

I will post new values as soon as our test kit arrives. Right now, the pool looks great! The water's clear with no obvious signs of algae. We have brushed it a lot this past week and added several gallons of 10% liquid chlorine (using the chlorine/cya chart as our guide).

Re: Lurker now ready to embrace BBB after our first algae bl

:wave: Welcome!

If I wasn't so macho, I'd tear up after reading your story. It's rare that someone gets it so quickly and without even posting a question or two before starting, or resisting the purchase of a test kit.

Brush the pool! Then retest the FC.

This may release some algae into the water from the walls that would consume chlorine so don't be surprised if the FC has fallen a bit. Use the Pool Calculator to figure how much chlorine to add to get back up to more than 5 FC.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

We'll be brushing it down again tonight and will re-test in the am while we wait for the good test kit to arrive.

Just wanted to follow up from my initial post. Received the TF-100 kit on Saturday (three days earlier than expected, wahoo!!). It was so nice to be able to find out what our FC was since we knew it was well over 5 but felt like we were fumbling around in the dark without it!

Here were the initial TF-100 results on Saturday afternoon:
FC 10 ppm
pH 7.8
TA 120
CH 300
CYA 20

We attempted to run an OCLT test on Saturday night but awoke early Sunday morning to heavy rain so we deferred until Sunday night. I am happy to report that our OCLT test last night returned favorable results, less than 0.5 cc lost. :cheers: Today, we have been tackling the high pH (added about 90 oz muriatic acid) and low CYA (added 128 oz liquid stabilizer). Tonight the values look great (or at least heading in the right direction):

FC 5
pH 7.5
CYA 35

The container of powder for the FC test seems so small that I am hoping it will last the entire summer. Is it easy to order refills?

So I am feeling optimistic that we are getting close to operating in maintenance mode. We didn't add any chlorine tonight since 5 is in our target range. Figured we would check it again tomorrow night and I expect by then we'll need to add another 2 ppm. Does that sound about right?

TanyaK140 said:
Just wanted to follow up from my initial post. Received the TF-100 kit on Saturday (three days earlier than expected, wahoo!!). It was so nice to be able to find out what our FC was since we knew it was well over 5 but felt like we were fumbling around in the dark without it!

Here were the initial TF-100 results on Saturday afternoon:
FC 10 ppm
pH 7.8
TA 120
CH 300
CYA 20

We attempted to run an OCLT test on Saturday night but awoke early Sunday morning to heavy rain so we deferred until Sunday night. I am happy to report that our OCLT test last night returned favorable results, less than 0.5 cc lost. :cheers: Today, we have been tackling the high pH (added about 90 oz muriatic acid) and low CYA (added 128 oz liquid stabilizer). Tonight the values look great (or at least heading in the right direction):

FC 5
pH 7.5
CYA 35

The container of powder for the FC test seems so small that I am hoping it will last the entire summer. Is it easy to order refills?

So I am feeling optimistic that we are getting close to operating in maintenance mode. We didn't add any chlorine tonight since 5 is in our target range. Figured we would check it again tomorrow night and I expect by then we'll need to add another 2 ppm. Does that sound about right?
What's the CC? And how does it look?

Ordering refills is easy. http://tftestkits.net

CC was less than 0.5 and water is nice and clear. Had hundred of drone ants in there yesterday but looks like today they must be bothering someone else!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.