Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump wont prime.

1. Back To Top    #1

pump wont prime.

ok so today i replaced the spider gasket or whatever hayward calls them. and i thought that would fix the problem but it hasnt done anything in fact the pump wont prime so that means there is no circulation. im just about ready to say forget about it and just close the thing im so frusterated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20k fiberglass w/ vinal liner, 1Hp magneTek Centurion Switchless Motor, Hayward Pro Series high rate 20" sand filter, Hayward RP 2100 Digital Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Have you poured water into the pump strainer basket? It often helps prime the pump if you give it a little water to work with to get started.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

yes tried that didnt help
    20k fiberglass w/ vinal liner, 1Hp magneTek Centurion Switchless Motor, Hayward Pro Series high rate 20" sand filter, Hayward RP 2100 Digital Heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I believe that you might call it Javelle Water over there.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Albert, sorry for the thread hi-jack and please don't take offense, but I'm going to use your post as an example.

Please when you post (speaking to everyone), give a descriptive subject title. Titles like, "I need help, "major problems" etc, don't really tell us anything about what's going on. Something as simple as "My pump has lost prime" will get the correct people to your post more quickly and will save others from reading it who may have nothing to offer.

With hundreds of new posts a day, this would really help those who are trying to help.

Again Albert, don't take offense. I see this a lot and just decided to use your post as an example.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

sorry about that i edited the title, tried putting the hose in it and nothing happened.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Albert,

1. How high above the pool water level is your pump?

2. Do you have multiple pipes that come together before they go into your pump?

3. If the answer to #2 is "yes", How many ande do they have valves to shut them off.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

1. the pump is on the ground
    2. yes i have multiple pipes that come togeather before they go into the pump and there are two and there are valves that shut them off. i will attach some pictures for you to see.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Am I missing something? Your picture shows both valves closed. No way it can prime like that.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

that was the weekend before we opened it. its storming here right now so i used the existing pictures

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    that was the weekend before we opened it. its storming here right now so i used the existing pictures
    Okay. I hated not to point out the obvious. Fortunately, I've never forgotten to open a valve

The slightest air leak on the suction side can make it difficult or impossible for your pump to prime. To prime mine, I shut off the skimmer and drain valves, and pour water into the basket until it overflows. Put the lid on and have someone turn the pump on while I open the valves. It can take a few minutes for flow to start.

If that doesn't work, fill the basket, and turn the multiport to "Closed", then open the skimmer and drain valves. The basket shoudn't bubble any or drain. If it does, that indicates an air leak. I had trouble this year until I found a bad O-ring on my pump basket drain plug.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

12. Back To Top    #12

how do you know if there is an air leak? because i am pretty sure that i have tried almost every way there is to prim it an i have nothing.

13. Back To Top    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    sorry about that i edited the title, tried putting the hose in it and nothing happened.
    No need to appologize. It's a natural tendency to make a dramatic title when you need help and LOTS of people do it, my point was just that it is not the best way to get the help you need.. I actually did not want you to change the title as it was a good illustration. It's okay though. I'm just glad you are getting some help.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

14. Back To Top    #14

Stuff a hose with a drain king on the end into the skimmer return pipe. Open that valve to the pump, close the other one. Turn on the hose and wait for it to fill the pipe and the pump basket. Yank the hose and then turn the pump on.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

I prime mine this way: Open the pump basket and stick a hose down the in-pipe > turn the hose on for a few minutes, then quickly hose off and out, cover on basket and fire it up. It can take it a few minutes to pick up prime after that.

I'm, obviously, trying to get any air out of the line between the pump and the pool.

16. Back To Top    #16
    When priming with more than one suction line and valves as you have: Open one valve and close the other to start. After the pump is primed you can open the other valve very slowly and get it to prime while still drawing from the first line. It may be simpler to prime from one line or the other though often they are about the same.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

thanks for the help guys, i tried all of your ideas and still it wont prime anyone have anymore ideas?

18. Back To Top    #18

Is the impeller still attached to the pump motor? 8)

Is it possible to install the valve body incorrectly when changing the spider gasket? The water has to be able to get out of the pump or it can't pull in any new water. I'm just wondering if somehow your multifunction valve is now blocking water flow.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

19. Back To Top    #19
    I'm going to throw this out there since I was guilty of it myself....how long are giving it to prime?? When I was having issues, I wasn't giving it enough time. It is supposed to prime within 5 minutes but wasn't. I just let it continue to attempt and it took about 15 minutes but did eventually prime. Turns out there was some construction dirt causing problems. Just a thought........
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

20. Back To Top    #20

harry, i think that its not blocked because it will backwash and everything with no problem but if you think that its blocked how would i be able to tell?

midtngal, what method did you try when you primed it? i think that i will give it more time to attempt because i am only giving it about 5 miniutes per attempt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast