Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening with SWG for first time.

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening with SWG for first time.

Hello all! I am about to open my 16x46 above ground pool. Last year (our first year) I didn't find you guys and start the BBB method until it was too late and I had already messed it up! I was able to get my hands on a salt water filter (used). Everything I have read says to just put in salt and that's it. I have well water with metals and want to know if I should do any shocking or chemicals along with the salt. Thanks so much! You were all so helpful last year!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening with SWG for first time.

So is this a fresh fill or are you just topping off with the well water?

You ALWAYS start with a full set of test results and then see what needs to be adjusted.

With a new SWG, you likely will need to add salt and raise the CYA (AFTER, you determine if you need to go through the shock process ... with the SWG off)

You will still need to frequently test and may need to add more acid that you are used to in order to control the pH rise due to the SWG.

pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

This will be a new fill. Should put bleach in to get my tac level where it should be before using salt and generator?

4. Back To Top    #4

You may need to use a sequestrant to avoid metal staining ... if you know you have metals:
    pool-school/metal%20stains

Then add CYA, salt, and bleach to get the FC in range before starting the SWG.
    You should run the pump 24 hours after adding salt before you turn on the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Perfect! Thanks!! That answered all of my questions... for now!
    I did add sequestrant last year but with how messed up my water was before finding the BBB method, it's hard to tell if it helped.