Better PH test kit?

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I have the OTO ph/ chlorine test that came with the TFT 100 but hate trying to decipher the reading. Is there a drop test or anything else that is easier to test PH? I have looked on TFT test kits and didn't see anything else for Ph.

Nope. That's about all there is that isn't for a laboratory and cheap enough for ordinary folks.

I find it helpful to hold the test block at arm's length and squint so it gets fuzzy. Then you see colors, not markings. A white background also helps. I have cheap resin chairs on the patio that make a good backdrop.

There are electronic meters, but they have the downside of needing frequent calibration, also the acceptable range for pH in pools is fairly wide, so you don't really need the extra resolution.

Ike

p.s. experience also helps reading the test, remember your trying to match the color shade not the intensity

Man that stinks. I would kill for a ph test kit to use the speed stir with. Lol. That thing will spoil you. I use the little white cloth thing that was included but half the time just end up guessing. I can tell the different between 7.2 and 7.8 but not 7.5 and 7.8 so much.

Thanks jblizzle. My biggest problem is the 7.5 and 7.8 difference. Is the acid demand ph test kit that has the white card behind it easier to read? I remember watching a YouTube video that showed that kind of test kit but can't remember who makes it.

kyle11 said:
Thanks jblizzle. My biggest problem is the 7.5 and 7.8 difference. Is the acid demand ph test kit that has the white card behind it easier to read? I remember watching a YouTube video that showed that kind of test kit but can't remember who makes it.

I have the Taylor K-2006 combo kit, which may be slightly different from the TF-100 when testing pH. When I test pH, I do it indoors. I have bright-white LED lighting, and I hold the sample up with a white paper towel behind it, which usually makes it pretty clear what the pH level is closest to. I agree, when it's in-between sometimes it can be hard to tell.

The Taylor kit comes with Acid / Base demand reagents (R-0005 / R-0006), which I find helpful to narrow it down. With 1 or 2 drops it becomes distinctly clear when I'm at 7.5. I dose with Muriatic Acid accordingly. In my experience, the Acid Demand drops provide a much more accurate dose compared to the poolcalculator.com estimate (which is generally off by a factor of 2 compared to the Acid Demand drops from my own observations).

Taylor does have more heavy-duty pH tests available, but they are not very economic. I have no experience with these kits, so I can't provide a recommendation, but you can check them out here:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... ultsII.asp (search for pH on this page)

What would you call this? At 1st glance I see 7.5 but could pass for 7.8 also. Maybe I just need to go to the eye doctor.

[attachment=0:2fh81vff]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369960974.562665.jpg[/attachment:2fh81vff]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369960974.562665.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369960974.562665.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 204

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more question about this topic and I am sorry I am a little OCD about getting #s right on ( I deal with #s all day so that probably has something to do with it)

Does not filling it all the way up to the very top small black like make a difference? Would that be throwing the test off that tiny bit making the 7.5 and 7.8 more hard to differentiate? Because I do not think I ever will it up to that line.

It absolutely makes a difference. You should be filling your block up to the fill line, otherwise your results may not be accurate.
See Extended Test Kit Directions. The phenol red included with your test kit is formulated to produce a result for the quantity of water up to the fill line. The bottom of the meniscus should be at the top of the fill line.

thehowheels said:
It absolutely makes a difference. You should be filling your block up to the fill line, otherwise your results may not be accurate.
See Extended Test Kit Directions. The phenol red included with your test kit is formulated to produce a result for the quantity of water up to the fill line. The bottom of the meniscus should be at the top of the fill line.

Ok thanks. That may be why it is always so hard for me to tell a difference. I read the directions the kit came with and it said it doesn't have to be perfect so I just usually filled to just above the 8.2. On all my other I make sure they are exact but I will test paying more attention to that and see if it makes a difference.

For what it's worth, I just took a reading from my pool. Filling the block up correctly to the fill line, and using 5 drops R-0004, I was clearly at 7.5.
I cleaned, and refilled the block, up to about where it looks like in the photo above (the top of the 8.2 box), and again used 5 drops R-0004. The result is clearly a shade deeper red, I'd guess 7.6. It took 1 drop of Acid Demand reagent to get back to 7.5.

This isn't going to make a drastic difference if you maintain your pool within 0.1 pH accuracy, but I did see a difference with my, admittedly, unscientific test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.