fhorta

May 30, 2013
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
hello, newbie here. wondering if i can get some help. here is some info on my equipment:
-gallons: 24000
-in ground plaster
-fc=23ppm
-cc=1ppm
-cya=45-50
-ph=7.2-7.6

sanitizer used=all clear superchlorinator 56, 1pnd packets, 2 per night-supposed to be the good stuff
test kit used=taylor 2006

the readings above were taken as of this morning @ 7:15 am pacific time. i live in cenrtral california.

for the first time that i can remember i actually had a reading of 1ppm cc. i have been battling green cloudy water for the past week. i been shocking at night for the last three nights and brining fc to at least above 18ppm. the first two nights i been losing about 4 ppm of chlorine over night. shocked last night again and brought ppm to 23. this morning was at 23 still, so that is good, right? however, now i have 1ppm of cc. ( i wasnt really taking the cc readings for the past three days until this morning because i never got a cc reading before)

my question, per guidelines on this forum, i am supposed to add 10 ppm of free chlorine to get rid of that 1ppm of cc. so do i still add the additional chlorine to bring it up to 10 ppm even though right now it is at 23 ppm already? so wouldnt the fact that it is already at 23 ppm it should get rid of that 1ppm eventually? OR, regardless of how much fc i have, i need to add the additional fc to get rid of the 1ppm pf cc? the water is getting clearer comapred to how it started. i can actually begin to see the bottom floor of the pool now, though it is still dark. been running pump 24/7 and backwashing when psi goes over 11. thanks for any help, ideas, suggestions, information can get.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Not sure where you saw the 10ppm FC / 1ppm CC guideline here? You just need to continue to follow the shock PROCESS as described in Pool School until you pass the 3 criteria to stop: Shocking Your Pool

Shock level for your CYA of 50ppm is a FC of 20ppm which should be your target each time you test and dose. Are you using poolcalculator.com?

What is your clean filter pressure?

Also realize the pH test is not valid when FC > 10ppm.

Finally, and pretty important, the powder you are using is dichlor and is going to quickly make your CYA ridiculously high. You need to switch to liquid chlorine.

thanks for reply. my clean filter pressure is about 6 psi when and if i only running water through skimmer. what i mean is that i have a lever that allows the option of opening up suction through drain and if both are open then my clean filter psi is 9.

i read about 10ppm of fc to clear 1ppm of cc in another website, not this one. i will definitely look into this website's guidelines. also, i was under impression (another website) that cya of 50 would require 15 ppm to shock and about 30 to supershock, buit again, i will look into this website's suggestions.

ph is not valid after 10ppm fc? so there is no way to read a ph at this point?

yeah, about the chlorine i'm using and the increased cya, i just read about it, so i will use liquid chlorine. anyone have an idea of how much chlorine "Top Job" store bleach has, if you heard of it? thanks again.

How much dichlor have you used? because for every 10 ppm of chlorine added it raises your CYA by 9 ppm, so your CYA may already be sky high and can only be lowered by water replacement, which you may want to do before trying to continue. Also how are you testing this?

i was using top job liquid chlorine, thought that might clear it, but if it only has 2.75% and i poured 12 gallons of it saturday evening with cya level of 35-40 at that point, so 12 gal times 2.75 is about 33 free chlorine poured into 25k gallons of water, probably no that much. i just recently started using the dichlor powder, a total of 6 bags at the most within last three days. thanks

ps-using the taylor 2006 kit to test..

About 12 1/2 hours later took chlorine test and first one was 18ppm , so lost about 5ppm on a fairly sunny day with max temp of 85. I then tested again but got reading of 21? What i did different is as soon as i poured two dips of the powder, i swirled for about 15 seconds and immediately started to pour in the drops until sample turned from pink to clear. Immediately after, i poured the 5drops drops to test for cc and no cc present. This morning it had 1 ppm cc. Water is looking clearer. I can now see the bottom deep end much clearer than in the morning. So i guess i can average the 18morning and the 21morning and conclude best guess my fc is at 19.5 . Any thoughts? I do appreciate it.....cya is at 45-50

Tsted water this morning and fc is at 18. Tested second time and resulted at 21. Added 5 drops to test cc and and its betweeen .5 and 1. Water looking better each day. I will pour some liquied chlorine in this evening and hopefully be done with shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.