1.5 HP Hayward pump not making any noise at all

Mar 31, 2012
Hi - have a 240v 1.5 HP single speed Hayward pump (motor model UST1152 or C48L2nN134C1 ?)

It's getting voltage to the wiring in the back, from the timer. The impeller also spin freely.

When I switch the power on at the timer, I get nothing on the pump. Not even a "whirring" sound.

Can someone point me in the right direction of what to check next? I have the back cover off the motor, and see a large capacitor (black cylineder) on the left side.

If I whack this thing, where should I hit it? What contacts should I be looking at to make sure it's getting good connection?

TIA

If the impeller spins freely, it is usually a bad capacitor or the centrifugal switch contacts may be dirty if the motor has one.

Remove the wires from the capacitor. With a screw driver discharge across the terminals and then use an ohm meter across the terminals at the highest range. Initially, it should read low resistance and slowly climb to a very high resistance or go over range. If it reads infinite resistance from the beginning or the resistance reads 0 and does not climb, the capacitor is probably bad.

Thanks!

I took off the capacitor, tested it (faulty) and drove down to Grainger and picked up the last one they had in stock. $6 later the pump is running great!

just saved me a fortune in not buying a new pump! thanks again mas985

Glad you got it working. :goodjob:

BTW, just curious, did the capacitor test infinite resistance or 0 resistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.