Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need some help with a pump

1. Back To Top    #1

need some help with a pump

so we bought the intex 18' round pool last year and the pump that came with it did nothing! my yard is also extremely sunny so the pool ate chlorine like crazy, i need to replace the pump this year so i want to also switch to saltwater and cross my fingers that i dont have the issues i did last year. Im so confused on the type of pump i need and which ones come with the salt water and which ones have a seperate system and also which size filter i actually need to get, and any extras i have to buy along with it, any advice would be appreciated! thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need some help with a pump

Welcome to tfp, nikic

We can help you with your swg questions, but I am wondering if you had come to us with your problems maintaining the pool last year, your experience would have been better. Since maintaining a pool with and swg still requires knowledge of pool chemistry, might I suggest that you try it again this year with liquid chlorine/bleach before moving to the swg? We will help either way.

Pool school is a great place to start, the link is always near the top right of each page. Maybe this article is a good one for you to start with: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool

If you do go with a swg now, then I would recommend not getting the pump/filter with the built in swg, since they never fail at the same time.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Agree 100% with linen
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks, after reading a few posts i think i may skip the saltwater system for this year altogether, i still need a better pump, i know that the pool is pretty small but i would like to get one that is stronger then it actually needs to be, would this one be the best one to get for my size pool? http://www.amazon.com/Intex-650-Gallon- ... B002V1H11W

5. Back To Top    #5

That would be a good one for you pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.