new pool salt water system

May 29, 2013
Intex 18x48 sand filter salt system. I followed all of the instruction on backwash rinse and then on for salt. The salt system has only ran 6 hrs/day for a couple of days no CYA added so I had my water tested.
FC-0
TC-0
CC-0
ph-7.2
hardness-70ppm
alkalinity-0ppm
CYA-5ppm
Copper-0
So it obvious I need to make some changes the pool store said add 1.5lbs of CYA and 12lbs of Alkalinity Up (baking soda). Let this go for 5 days and bring in another sample. My question is should I just run my salt system 12 hrs/day for a few days to get caught up. There is a boost the runs 4 times longer than programmed so should I just boost from my 6 hrs so it runs 24 hrs and do this for a couple of days.
DO I really need to add the Alkalinity up?
I am new to Salt water system so any help is appreciated
Tony

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Those tests can not be believed. I do not think it is chemically possible (or at least extremely unlikely) to have TA = 0 and a pH that is 7.2.

Order yourself one of the recommended test kits and read Pool School a few times ... very quickly you will know more than 95+% of pool store employees.

Also realize that SWG are not that great at raising the FC ... you should do that with bleach and let the SWG maintain the FC ... although it is going to struggle to do that as well until you get the CYA up to the recommended levels.

You want to adjust TA to between 60 and 80, and CYA to between 70 and 80. Doing so requires test results you can depend on. Unfortunately, you can not trust those particular test results. If TA was actually zero then PH would be below 5, so either TA or PH is wrong. That makes SkyKid's suggestion to get your own test kit especially appropriate.

Also, you shouldn't depend on the SWG to raise FC up from zero. It is best to add some chlorine manually just once at the start to help things get going.

Unfortunately, likely nowhere. Some commercial/wholesale pool stores have been known to carry the FAS-DPD test kits, but most retail stores do not (or even know what it is).

Best value is to order the TF-100 ... shipping is very fast. See link in my signature, they are on the East Coast, but have reseller on the West Coast if that is closer to you.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Until you get you cya up to at least 50 ppm the sun is going to consume any chlorine your swg is producing as fast as it is producing it, use the pool calculator to determine the proper dosage place it in a old sock and hang it in front of the return jet being careful not to let it touch the side of the pool ( could discolor liner) and dose with bleach per the cya/fc chart in pool school.but you need to order the tf100 test kit from tftestkits.net to properly maintain your pool, I would start this a.s.a.p or your water is going to be green.........Mike

OK update I bought a kit and checked
Fc-0
Ph-7.6
Ta-70
I added the 56oz of bleach from calculator and have the cya going in now. I used the little filter bag and put in my over wall skimmer seems to be good. I used 1.3 lbs which was recommended per the book. I have the system set to run 24 hrs so we will check in the morning hope its not purple or something

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.