Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool salt water system

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool salt water system

Intex 18x48 sand filter salt system. I followed all of the instruction on backwash rinse and then on for salt. The salt system has only ran 6 hrs/day for a couple of days no CYA added so I had my water tested.
    FC-0
    TC-0
    CC-0
    ph-7.2
    hardness-70ppm
    alkalinity-0ppm
    CYA-5ppm
    Copper-0
    So it obvious I need to make some changes the pool store said add 1.5lbs of CYA and 12lbs of Alkalinity Up (baking soda). Let this go for 5 days and bring in another sample. My question is should I just run my salt system 12 hrs/day for a few days to get caught up. There is a boost the runs 4 times longer than programmed so should I just boost from my 6 hrs so it runs 24 hrs and do this for a couple of days.
    DO I really need to add the Alkalinity up?
    I am new to Salt water system so any help is appreciated
    Tony
    18'x48' Intex 14" 1600gal/hr sand filter saltwater system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pool salt water system

Welcome to TFP TCarson17
    I'm a newbie and the people here helped me a lot
    First thing get your own test kit (that's what I did)
    Then listen to the pro's here (Did that too )
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Those tests can not be believed. I do not think it is chemically possible (or at least extremely unlikely) to have TA = 0 and a pH that is 7.2.

Order yourself one of the recommended test kits and read Pool School a few times ... very quickly you will know more than 95+% of pool store employees.

Also realize that SWG are not that great at raising the FC ... you should do that with bleach and let the SWG maintain the FC ... although it is going to struggle to do that as well until you get the CYA up to the recommended levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You want to adjust TA to between 60 and 80, and CYA to between 70 and 80. Doing so requires test results you can depend on. Unfortunately, you can not trust those particular test results. If TA was actually zero then PH would be below 5, so either TA or PH is wrong. That makes SkyKid's suggestion to get your own test kit especially appropriate.

Also, you shouldn't depend on the SWG to raise FC up from zero. It is best to add some chlorine manually just once at the start to help things get going.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the test strips now and it appears by color the ph is on. When he pulled the TA vile out it was green so I was surprised with 0 as well

6. Back To Top    #6

The test was ran with a color reader attached to a computer. so get a kit with reagents?

7. Back To Top    #7

I know i need the CYA but should I hold off on the TA up

8. Back To Top    #8

YES. The recommended test kits are far superior to test strips and more reliable than any computer that is reading colors. Trust your own tests!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Where could you pick up an appropriate test kit locally

10. Back To Top    #10

Unfortunately, likely nowhere. Some commercial/wholesale pool stores have been known to carry the FAS-DPD test kits, but most retail stores do not (or even know what it is).

Best value is to order the TF-100 ... shipping is very fast. See link in my signature, they are on the East Coast, but have reseller on the West Coast if that is closer to you.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Until you get you cya up to at least 50 ppm the sun is going to consume any chlorine your swg is producing as fast as it is producing it, use the pool calculator to determine the proper dosage place it in a old sock and hang it in front of the return jet being careful not to let it touch the side of the pool ( could discolor liner) and dose with bleach per the cya/fc chart in pool school.but you need to order the tf100 test kit from tftestkits.net to properly maintain your pool, I would start this a.s.a.p or your water is going to be green.........Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

12. Back To Top    #12

OK update I bought a kit and checked
    Fc-0
    Ph-7.6
    Ta-70
    I added the 56oz of bleach from calculator and have the cya going in now. I used the little filter bag and put in my over wall skimmer seems to be good. I used 1.3 lbs which was recommended per the book. I have the system set to run 24 hrs so we will check in the morning hope its not purple or something

13. Back To Top    #13

Dare I ask what kit you bought?

Does it have the all important FAS-DPD test?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

No its a cheap one but better than strips. I have to order the other and this was quick for todaay