Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex - adding Hayward thru-wall skimmer PVC Thread question

1. Back To Top    #1

McKinney, TX

Intex - adding Hayward thru-wall skimmer PVC Thread question

Hi everyone-

Just found this site and really enjoy reading through all the information (and headaches) that people have shared!

I am in the process of hard plumbing my replacement Intex filter/pump along with the Hayward Skimmer. The problem I have is that all of the threaded PVC connections are matter what I have done.

I read on the pvc connection manufacturers site, that I should NOT use Teflon tape, however I see other people are doing this. Others have suggested to use pipe dope and then there are some that say not needed or don't do it!

Any suggestions on how to rectify this would be very helpful.

16'x48" 5000 gallon Intex pool, Intex 56673EG Filter hard plumbed with Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Skimmer. (Just ordering now...) TF-100...plan to transition to BBB method, however have been using tablets and shock from Leslie's til now.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Intex - adding Hayward thru-wall skimmer PVC Thread ques

Welcome to tfp, Eyemalive

Most likely you will need something on the threads to prevent leaking. I have successfully used 3-4 wraps of teflon tape, also using a thread sealant for plastic pipe can work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Intex - adding Hayward thru-wall skimmer PVC Thread ques

Welcome to TFP.

Linen has some good advice. I like the paste, but tape works too. If you get paste be sure to get the stuff that's for plastic piping.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit