Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Startup Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Startup Questions

I just purchased a small AG pool and need help getting started....
    I filled the pool Saturday and have been adding "Small pool sanitizer" (dichloro-s-triazinetrione dehydrate - 55% available chlorine) and borax every evening. The chlorine level is 3 after I add- and again in the morning. By the evening it is down to .6. I am adding 8 tsp./day of the dichlor with an equal amount of borax.

I have read pool school, but I am not sure how to apply it to my specific pool.
    I need to make this work without spending a fortune, but I don't know what I really HAVE to have. This was a $100 pool for a 5 year old... I need to keep it safe on a small budget.
    I know I will have to have a vacuum or some way to clean the dirt/grass off of the floor... any recommendations for something inexpensive that works well enough for a small pool? I can't upgrade the filter right now.

Also, this morning I noticed clear stuff floating on the very top layer of the water... could that be mosquito eggs?? How can I get rid of and prevent that?

Thanks for any help!
    Lisa
    1700 Gal/ Cartridge/AG Summer Escapes 12' x 24"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Startup Questions

Welcome to TFP!!!

So you saw this article?
    pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

For a pool that size, you should really need only about 1-2 oz of dichlor every day ... after about 2 weeks (when the CYA becomes higher) you could switch to adding about 1 cup of 8.25% bleach everyday to maintain the FC.

With a pool that size, a drain and refill is the cheapest solution if the water gets out of control.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!!
    I have been researching for days and just got overwhelmed. That article is exactly what I need. And, I have no idea if I have read it .

Any idea about the stuff floating on top of the water?
    And.. do I need a vacuum? If so what is an inexpensive option that will get the job done?
    Thank you again!

4. Back To Top    #4

No idea what is floating on the water.

A vacuum would help to keep the dirt out ... as I know the kids will be tracking dirt and grass into the pool. Find something cheap ... like maybe the Aqua Broom.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you. I will look into that vacuum.
    I have no idea either... It looks like mosquitos eggs, but I didn't think that was possible with the chlorinated water and pump running 24/7.