Brand new (and yet dead) Polaris 280

May 20, 2013
Just bought a brand new Polaris 280 - hooked it up, kicked on the pump, kicked on the Polaris booster pump, Polaris 280 just sits like a rock.

I got it up and held it and looks like the wheels are not turning at all - and there's a steady flow of water jetting out of the backup valve... I'm thinking it could be a bad backup valve from what I'm reading here, or it could be a drive shaft problem?

There is a thin stream of water coming out of the thrust jet, and two thin streams in the vacuum area, but no motion in the wheels and a big blast of water from the backup valve.

My pool floor needs a cleaning something fierce, so hoping I can get this corrected!

Thanks,
Cameron

I'm no expert either, but I've done a lot of minor repairs on my 380. It does sound like a backup valve that's not working right.

I just learned of this trick here on TFP in the last few days and you might try it before taking the 280 back: Try flushing out the backup valve backwards with water. Flush it with water coming opposite the direction it's supposed to go. Sometimes a bit of debris can interfere with backup valve gears. I guess this flush cleans it out.

Haven't tried it yet (haven't needed to), but I'll try it next before replacing my backup valve.

Good luck!

Put your hand over the relief valve and see how much water is coming out. I had the same problem with a brand new 280 and it was caused by the relief by-passing too much water. Polaris sent me two new valves and they both leaked so much the 280 would not run like it should. I ended up replacing the valve with a plug and it has worked fine for two years.

P.S. one more thing to check is the flow direction though the ball bearing swivels. They have a small flow arrow showing the correct orientation. If they are installed backwards it will restrict the flow.(don't ask me how I know :))

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.