Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new (and yet dead) Polaris 280

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new (and yet dead) Polaris 280

Just bought a brand new Polaris 280 - hooked it up, kicked on the pump, kicked on the Polaris booster pump, Polaris 280 just sits like a rock.

I got it up and held it and looks like the wheels are not turning at all - and there's a steady flow of water jetting out of the backup valve... I'm thinking it could be a bad backup valve from what I'm reading here, or it could be a drive shaft problem?

There is a thin stream of water coming out of the thrust jet, and two thin streams in the vacuum area, but no motion in the wheels and a big blast of water from the backup valve.

My pool floor needs a cleaning something fierce, so hoping I can get this corrected!

Thanks,
    Cameron
    Here's what we have: 18,000 gallon in ground pool with DE filter, plaster/gunite construction
    Other notes: 1.5 Challenger Filter Pump, Polaris Auto-Cleaner pump, Hayward return inlets, Jacuzzi Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new (and yet dead) Polaris 280

I'm no expert, but it does sound like there's something seriously wrong with it. Since it's brand new, either take it back or contact Polaris for a warranty replacement.
    27,000 gal. vinyl in-ground pool w/ 1.5" piping, 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, Hayward Pro Series sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm no expert either, but I've done a lot of minor repairs on my 380. It does sound like a backup valve that's not working right.

I just learned of this trick here on TFP in the last few days and you might try it before taking the 280 back: Try flushing out the backup valve backwards with water. Flush it with water coming opposite the direction it's supposed to go. Sometimes a bit of debris can interfere with backup valve gears. I guess this flush cleans it out.

Haven't tried it yet (haven't needed to), but I'll try it next before replacing my backup valve.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Put your hand over the relief valve and see how much water is coming out. I had the same problem with a brand new 280 and it was caused by the relief by-passing too much water. Polaris sent me two new valves and they both leaked so much the 280 would not run like it should. I ended up replacing the valve with a plug and it has worked fine for two years.

P.S. one more thing to check is the flow direction though the ball bearing swivels. They have a small flow arrow showing the correct orientation. If they are installed backwards it will restrict the flow.(don't ask me how I know )
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

5. Back To Top    #5

Polaris/Zodiac just emailed me and told me to take the backup valve off and see if it runs and count the RPMs... I'll be trying that this evening.
    Here's what we have: 18,000 gallon in ground pool with DE filter, plaster/gunite construction
    Other notes: 1.5 Challenger Filter Pump, Polaris Auto-Cleaner pump, Hayward return inlets, Jacuzzi Skimmer