First time FAS-DPD tester

Kir

Apr 5, 2013
Long Island, NY
Got my new FAS-DPD testing kit. Here are the first set of results for the season. Hopefully I did this right....

FC 6
CC 4
pH 7.2
TA 50
CH 50
CYA Did not register (fyi... when the pool store tested the other day it was zero. The FC and CC were also zero. I added 3 of those concentrated Clorox jugs two days ago)

From what I've read I understand I need to add HTH stabilizer/conditioner to the water via a sock tied near the return. How much do I need? I don't want to buy too much as I gathered from this forum that a high CYA is bad and you don't want to raise the levels too high and then have to fight the battle of constantly having to add more chlorine. Help! What's my next move so I can shock?

Thanks

Given the high CC number, you clearly need to go through the shock process.

I would add about 20-30ppm of CYA to the pool and then start the shock process. According to poolcalculator, that would be 7-10 lbs for your large pool. Then verify the level a week after it dissolves. Assume it is all active when it dissolves to determine your required FC level.

The CYA you add may not show up on a test for a week, but after you put it in the sock and it mostly dissolves, assume your active CYA level is the level you targeted (20-30ppm) ... even though it may not show up on the test yet.

Got it. One quick question....you suggest adding the stabilizer to start getting the CYA level up. According to Pool School I shouldn't backwash for a week after adding the stabilizer. You also say to start shocking after adding the stabilizer but the Pool School instructions for shocking say we should backwash during shocking....so do I or don't I backwash?

Also, should I run my filter 24/7 for one day after adding the stabilizer or do I have to run it 24/7 for a whole week while the stabilizer is dissolving?

If you put the CYA in a sock in front of the return jet, then you do not need to worry about waiting to backwash (do it when the pressure rises 20-25% over your clean pressure).

Run the pump 24/7 until the shock process is complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The standard bleach jug used for laundry. It says concentrated but I can't find anything on the labeling referring to the %. I assume even though it's a bit shy of a gallon (it's 121 fluid oz) that it contains the same 6%. I got three jugs per box at Costco.

So half the HTH stabilizer is disolved in the pool via the sock by the return. Added the chlorine and will test again in a hour.

So filter has been running 24/7....water looks clear...and the 8lbs of HTH Stabilizer in the sock by the returns is almost done. My FC is still quite high. I stopped adding drops of reactant after 11 because the water was still pink and I didn't want to waste chemicals. So here are the other test results

FC high
pH 7.1 ( I had to add 2 drops of reactant to raise the ph to 7.5 Do I need to raise the pH while I am shocking? If so, and if I am reading this right I need to add about 2.24 lbs of baking soda) Let me knowing I need to do this.
TA 60ppm
CH 50 ppm
CYA waiting to test again at end of week

So do I just wait for the FC level to come down at this point?

FC. 6.0
CC .5
pH. 7.2
TA. 60
CH. 50
CYA. Waiting till end of week to register level since adding stabilizer

So my CC is where it needs to be correct? Now I just have to check the overnight FC loss correct to ensure proper shocking. If I'm off track here let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.