Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time FAS-DPD tester

1. Back To Top    #1

First time FAS-DPD tester

Got my new FAS-DPD testing kit. Here are the first set of results for the season. Hopefully I did this right....

FC 6
    CC 4
    pH 7.2
    TA 50
    CH 50
    CYA Did not register (fyi... when the pool store tested the other day it was zero. The FC and CC were also zero. I added 3 of those concentrated Clorox jugs two days ago)

From what I've read I understand I need to add HTH stabilizer/conditioner to the water via a sock tied near the return. How much do I need? I don't want to buy too much as I gathered from this forum that a high CYA is bad and you don't want to raise the levels too high and then have to fight the battle of constantly having to add more chlorine. Help! What's my next move so I can shock?

Thanks
    40K, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T), Hayward chlorine feeder (CL-200), Aquabot Turbo T2 robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time FAS-DPD tester

PoolCalculator.com is the best thing to use for determining levels, don't know where I'd be without that tool.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

Given the high CC number, you clearly need to go through the shock process.

I would add about 20-30ppm of CYA to the pool and then start the shock process. According to poolcalculator, that would be 7-10 lbs for your large pool. Then verify the level a week after it dissolves. Assume it is all active when it dissolves to determine your required FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

@Jason...what do you mean by assume it is all active when it dissolves?
    40K, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T), Hayward chlorine feeder (CL-200), Aquabot Turbo T2 robot

5. Back To Top    #5

The CYA you add may not show up on a test for a week, but after you put it in the sock and it mostly dissolves, assume your active CYA level is the level you targeted (20-30ppm) ... even though it may not show up on the test yet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it. One quick question....you suggest adding the stabilizer to start getting the CYA level up. According to Pool School I shouldn't backwash for a week after adding the stabilizer. You also say to start shocking after adding the stabilizer but the Pool School instructions for shocking say we should backwash during shocking....so do I or don't I backwash?

Also, should I run my filter 24/7 for one day after adding the stabilizer or do I have to run it 24/7 for a whole week while the stabilizer is dissolving?

7. Back To Top    #7

If you put the CYA in a sock in front of the return jet, then you do not need to worry about waiting to backwash (do it when the pressure rises 20-25% over your clean pressure).

Run the pump 24/7 until the shock process is complete.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. What shock level am I trying to target? The CYA chart does not show a figure for having no CYA in the water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Start at 5ppm or so, but as soon as you add the CYA, bump up to the 10-12ppm in the chart (depending on how much CYA you add)
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Which concentrated jugs of Clorox are you referring to specifically?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

11. Back To Top    #11

The standard bleach jug used for laundry. It says concentrated but I can't find anything on the labeling referring to the %. I assume even though it's a bit shy of a gallon (it's 121 fluid oz) that it contains the same 6%. I got three jugs per box at Costco.

So half the HTH stabilizer is disolved in the pool via the sock by the return. Added the chlorine and will test again in a hour.

12. Back To Top    #12

The 121 oz bottles are 8.25%.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Is there anything you guys don't know?

14. Back To Top    #14

So filter has been running 24/7....water looks clear...and the 8lbs of HTH Stabilizer in the sock by the returns is almost done. My FC is still quite high. I stopped adding drops of reactant after 11 because the water was still pink and I didn't want to waste chemicals. So here are the other test results

FC high
    pH 7.1 ( I had to add 2 drops of reactant to raise the ph to 7.5 Do I need to raise the pH while I am shocking? If so, and if I am reading this right I need to add about 2.24 lbs of baking soda) Let me knowing I need to do this.
    TA 60ppm
    CH 50 ppm
    CYA waiting to test again at end of week

So do I just wait for the FC level to come down at this point?

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

So do I just wait for the FC level to come down at this point?
    You have finished the process when...
    1. Your pool water is sparkling
    2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
    3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

11 drops would only be 5.5ppm ... that is not that high. Do the test correctly and buy more reagent when you need it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Should I be doing the .2ppm test with 25ml of sample water or the .5ppm at the 10ml sample?

18. Back To Top    #18

Use 10mL so you use fewer drops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

FC. 6.0
    CC .5
    pH. 7.2
    TA. 60
    CH. 50
    CYA. Waiting till end of week to register level since adding stabilizer

So my CC is where it needs to be correct? Now I just have to check the overnight FC loss correct to ensure proper shocking. If I'm off track here let me know.

20. Back To Top    #20

Assume CYA is in there and start shocking now.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast