Hi, I have a couple of questions

I'm new to the pool world, so I have a couple of questions I was looking for help with,
Today's test--
FC: 13
CC: 0
TA: 140
CH: 120
CYA: 90
pH : 7.3

Pool is clear.

So, I know my CH is low, but I have a vinyl IG pool, so do I care? Should I raise it ?
With my CYA on the high side, can I just balance my FC to a higher level? It looks like the chart says a target of 10?!
Thanks!

You are correct on both counts. Ignore you CH in a vinyl pool.

If you choose to leave your CYA at 90, you have already figured out where your chlorine needs to be....be sure to keep it up there.

Welcome! :wave:

You are correct on both counts. Your pool doesn't care about low CH since it's vinyl, and you do need to maintain a higher FC due to high CYA. If you're using trichlor pucks or dichlor powder, stop it! You could use Cal-hypo if you wanted to, but why bother? Bleach doesn't add anything extra that you need to worry about.

Sadly, you will be pretty much stuck to using the FAS-DPD tester for FC, every time. No quick check for you.

The only fix is a partial drain and refill. You'll lose some CYA due to backwashing and splashout, but not enough to bring things down to 40-50 by the end of summer.

Amy21 said:
We are on well water, so I was hoping not to have to drain 1/2 the pool..
So, are there no other negs than balancing to a higher FC and using the FAS-DPD?

Thanks!
If you do get an algae bloom, you'll be buying bleach by the drum, not the jug. It's just inconvenient to have to maintain it at that high a CYA. I've done it, and I don't recommend it because it is such a pain. But if you're on a well, you have good reason to live with it. If you water the lawns, use pool water instead, then put the water back in the pool. That will lower it a few PPM every week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.