Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi, I have a couple of questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi, I have a couple of questions

I'm new to the pool world, so I have a couple of questions I was looking for help with,
    Today's test--
    FC: 13
    CC: 0
    TA: 140
    CH: 120
    CYA: 90
    pH : 7.3

Pool is clear.

So, I know my CH is low, but I have a vinyl IG pool, so do I care? Should I raise it ?
    With my CYA on the high side, can I just balance my FC to a higher level? It looks like the chart says a target of 10?!
    Thanks!
    20k gal, IG vinyl, sand Hayward s-200

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hi, I have a couple of questions

You are correct on both counts. Ignore you CH in a vinyl pool.

If you choose to leave your CYA at 90, you have already figured out where your chlorine needs to be....be sure to keep it up there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

You are correct on both counts. Your pool doesn't care about low CH since it's vinyl, and you do need to maintain a higher FC due to high CYA. If you're using trichlor pucks or dichlor powder, stop it! You could use Cal-hypo if you wanted to, but why bother? Bleach doesn't add anything extra that you need to worry about.

Sadly, you will be pretty much stuck to using the FAS-DPD tester for FC, every time. No quick check for you.

The only fix is a partial drain and refill. You'll lose some CYA due to backwashing and splashout, but not enough to bring things down to 40-50 by the end of summer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm just using BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

We are on well water, so I was hoping not to have to drain 1/2 the pool..
    So, are there no other negs than balancing to a higher FC and using the FAS-DPD?

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Amy21
    We are on well water, so I was hoping not to have to drain 1/2 the pool..
    So, are there no other negs than balancing to a higher FC and using the FAS-DPD?

Thanks!
    If you do get an algae bloom, you'll be buying bleach by the drum, not the jug. It's just inconvenient to have to maintain it at that high a CYA. I've done it, and I don't recommend it because it is such a pain. But if you're on a well, you have good reason to live with it. If you water the lawns, use pool water instead, then put the water back in the pool. That will lower it a few PPM every week.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

So, with vigilance, not letting the FC go below 10, I shouldn't get algae?!

Good tip about the watering

Thanks so much!