white mold/chlorine demand

mjreed

May 30, 2013
Ohio
:) Hello! I had white mold about 2 and a half weeks ago. I have since shocked, brushed, took steps out, lights, skimmers, changed sand, emptied and cleaned filter, cleaned, cleaned, and then cleaned more! It was everywhere.

Right now, I my water is clear and beautiful, but I am having a problem holding chlorine. At the beginning of this process, my cya was 70, after keeping my chlorine running at full, it is now 137 (which I know is really high and we are working on draining some everynight to lower it). I am no longer using the tablets. Just liquid chlorine. Last night, I brought my shock level up to 56 by using the cya chart. This morning it was 45, so I added 2 gallons (per the calculator) and now 1.5 hour later, it is 41. I have been able to keep some chlorine overnight, but it seems that during the day, it just will not hold. Two nights ago, I had the chlorine at 10 and in the morning it was 8.5.

Do I just continue to try to keep the level at 56 during the day until it stays, per the shock process? I am at my wits end!! lol

My levels yesterday. I do have a taylor k-2006 test kit.
cya - 137 per pool store (my test said over 100)
TC - 41 - right now
CC - 0
pH - 7.8 - yesterday
TA - 120
Adj. TA - 81 (pool store) Not sure the difference between these two TAs.

I haven't tested with my kit today (except chlorine) , not sure levels would be accurate with high shock.

Thanks for any help!
Jackie

Welcome to TFP!

Just ignore Adjusted TA. We always just use TA numbers directly from the test kit around here. ATA used to be used when calculating the saturation index, but there are simpler approaches to figuring out SI (if you even need to know it which most people don't) which make calculating ATA pointless.

High CYA levels slow down the shock process a little. It appears that the chlorine is still actively breaking down the remnants of the white water mould, as indicated by the rapid chlorine loss. Until that process is complete, ie the FC level stops dropping so quickly and does not drop overnight, you should maintain shock level.

Okay, another question! Right now my CYA is 120, so we have brought it down a little! The shock level on the pool calculator says shock at CYA level of 120 is 28. On the CYA/Chlorine chart it says that shock level is 46.7. Am I looking or putting something in incorrect? What should my shock level be for CYA of 120? Thanks!

Jackie

Okay, it held a shock value of 46 all night, no ccs and water is clear. So I am going to let it go down today. With a CYA of 120 what is a safe chlorine range to swim?

I still am not understanding, the difference in the CYA/Chlorine chart and the pool calculator for shock levels. If don't know if I am doing something wrong. I just want to be consistent...And make sure I get rid of this stuff!! Lol. What would the shock level be for a CYA of 120?

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Keep in mind that none of the CYA tests are at all precise when measuring values over 100. Your CYA level could be anywhere from 70 to several hundred. You really really want to replace water to get CYA down to something reasonable.

Assuming CYA really is 120, target FC levels for normal operation are between 9 and 15, and never below 9.

OK. Thanks! We are working on draining and refilling. We have a well, so it is going to take some time. I did the CYA test with half water/half pool water, hoping that would be more reliable.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.