Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Decking Before Liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Decking Before Liner?

Love this forum.

I have the steel walls installed, concrete collar poured and planned to install plumbing a back-fill next.

What are the pros and cons of pouring the concrete decking around the pool before installing the liner? Seems like it would limit any damage that may be caused during the concrete deck pouring?

Thanks

Jeremy
    18x36 Steel Wall Vinyl Liner Pool
    Sta Rite Cartridge Filter
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete Decking Before Liner?

Usually you need the backfill compacted properly before pouring the decking, otherwise the ground will settle and you end up with cracked concrete. My PB is backfilling with sand, using a compactor on it and then I have to pour water into the sand for 2-3 weeks to settle it further before pouring our concrete deck. If you are backfilling with soil it can take months to years of rain to properly compact the soil.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what MN just posted.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My PB said we should not start pavers until pool was full of water. Not sure if concrete is different.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I understand that portion of the process, but wondering in what order.

Scenario #1
    a) backfill with sand and compact
    b) Install coping and liner
    c) install concrete decking around pool

Scenario #2
    a) backfill with sand and compact
    b) install concrete decking
    c) install liner

thanks
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm no expert on this stuff, but for scenario 1, this seems to be the standard order. It could be because the PB doesn't want to wait around for you to compact the backfill and get the decking installed...

For scenario 2, I'm not sure what the risks are. It doesn't seem risky to the liner to have the concrete decking poured to me. What type of damage has you concerned?
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

7. Back To Top    #7

Seems it would be easier to finish the concrete if they can stand in the pool without the liner installed?
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are using cantilever forms, some of them use the liner track to be held in place and you can't install liner first. I backfilled with 1/2 " limestone which has like a 98% compaction rate. I backfilled in 3-4 lifts and compacted each one. I think you can do it either way, but I'd pour first. Cleaning out sand and rock isn't fun or easy.
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

I plan to install pavers around the perimeter and then pour a regular concrete decking.
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

I installed pavers too. So are you going to pour a footer of some sort around the perimeter to attach the pavers? I used concrete step treads as coping, you might look into them. They have a travertine type of look to them.
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

That looks really nice. For the concrete footer, did you just pour concrete flush with the top wall panel flange from the back of flange to where the edge of paver will be?
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes. One tip though. Order the concrete with the smallest stone possible because you'll need to pour it flush with the top of the liner track and large stone get in the way in that thin spot on top of track.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

We have built pools for over 30 years and unless I am forced to install the liner I always pour decking first, then pool base, then the liner. I have never seen a concrete crew that I would trust not to get concrete in the pool.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

14. Back To Top    #14

i used paver's on the perimeter. half the paver rested on the metal coping ( glued) the other half on compacted backfill/1" of stone dust ( would use sand next time, easier to work with imo) Did this after pool fill. 6 years and no real noticeable settleling. I have seen many concrete decks where the stone/back fill has settled and there is a gap between the stone and the crete. But those with proper re-inforcement are in tact.
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

15. Back To Top    #15

How much did you guys overhang the paver into the pool?

I am going to go this route but am wondering about the material below the paver that overhangs the opposite side of the pool wall. Could you leave the paver overhanging the back without stone or conc base and when pouring the concrete just vibrate or rod it to force concrete underneath. I would have plastic sheething to protect the paver as well.
    1hp pump
    Raypak 260k NG Heater