Mineral Springs SWG Issues

May 30, 2013
Since opening this summer, have had several gremlins in my Mineral Springs (Goldline) SWG unit (8+ years old). The cell is original, but was just cleaned and appeared fine at pool opening earlier this month.

A week or so ago, got a NO FLOW light on. A day or so later it goes back off and generates again. Two days later, NO FLOW again. No lines breaks and flow was fine, so assumed it was the sensor. Used a crossed RJ11 cord to confirm the main unit was working. Ordered a replacement sensor and next day, NO FLOW light is off again and all fine. Will replace sensor when receiving it tomorrow. This morning, salt suddenly showed 1900 and no salt generation (was at 3000 the evening before and confirmed at pool store water sample days earlier).

Time for a new cell? New unit?

29K gallon in-ground, plaster, DE filter.

Welcome to TFP!

It might well be time for a new cell. Getting 8 years out of a cell is really good, as they typically last 3 to 5 years. Still, a worn out cell doesn't really match with your symptoms. A worn out cell will tend to show lower and lower salt levels over a couple of weeks, rather than jumping suddenly lower. Also, a worn out cell would not have any effect on the flow sensor.

Your problem is more suggestive of a loose connection between the cell and the main unit. Perhaps the cell cord got jostled when you were investigating the flow sensor?

A follow up - ordered a new Flow Sensor and by the time it arrived, problem seems to have abated. Will wait until occurs and again and swap out with new one.

The current issue is that the unit is still showing a wide variance of salt readings over the last several weeks. It will show as low as 700 on morning start up for hours and later in the day will show 2700 ( tested at 2900) and generating fine. Due to age of cell, am resigned to buy a new one, but are these symptoms more related to the PC board? The current and voltage appear fine when it does start showing more correct reading. I have readings if needed.

Any thoughts - not sure which end to tackle, but either way I guess an 8+ year cell is due for a replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.