Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just switched to BBB - Now I want to automate

1. Back To Top    #1

Just switched to BBB - Now I want to automate

I recently switched to the BBB method and so far so good. I just began researching automatic liquid chlorinators and came across the liquidator. I saw some mention of problems with leaves but wasn't sure what or how these would effect its use. I have a huge oak tree which drops leaves and a tremendous amount of pollen pods in March / April and then acorns in October. It is a pain to deal with but it does provide constant shade during the hot Texas summers.

Just based on this, is the liquidator an option or should I look into something else. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money at the moment. Thanks!
    15,000 gallon quartz finish, in-floor cleaning, Jandy CV580 cartridge filter, Jandy pump, Jandy heater, chlorine feeder and ozone

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Just switched to BBB - Now I want to automate

Leaves in the pool has no affect on the liquidator.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The problem with the LQ (liquidator) and leaves, is that when the skimmer fills with leaves, it increases the suction head and that in turn increases the flow out of the LQ causing it to dump a lot of bleach in the pool. If your suction head doesn't rise much when the skimmer fills with leaves then that won't be a problem for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Sorry, Dave and Dave,

Once again, I stepped outside my pay grade. I should've known that but didn't.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The problem with the LQ (liquidator) and leaves, is that when the skimmer fills with leaves, it increases the suction head and that in turn increases the flow out of the LQ causing it to dump a lot of bleach in the pool. If your suction head doesn't rise much when the skimmer fills with leaves then that won't be a problem for you.
    What do you mean by suction head?
    15,000 gallon quartz finish, in-floor cleaning, Jandy CV580 cartridge filter, Jandy pump, Jandy heater, chlorine feeder and ozone

6. Back To Top    #6

The amount of suction created by the pump when moving water through the suction (skimmer/main drain) side of the system. As the suction gets blocked the suction head (negative pressure) goes up and the water flow goes down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Bama,

I've been thinking of an LQ or a stenner pump, just to so I understand correctly, any time suction goes down the LQ delivers more chlorine? My normal pressure is 17 psi, when I attach a vacuum hose my pressure drops to 10 psi because of reduced water flow. So during vacuuming the LQ would deliver more chlorine than during normal filter operation. If that's the case then I think the stenner on a separate sync'd timer is the way I want to go.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

8. Back To Top    #8

Dan -- You are correct. Attaching a vacuum hose adds restriction to the suction side thereby increasing suction head, which inversly reduces discharge (filter) pressure. Vacuuming is usually a short term event and doesn't affect the overall addition of FC much, unless you have a suction cleaner that is left in the pool for extended periods of time.

Leaves filling up the skimmer basket during the day and subsequently increasing the suction head therby emptying the LQ is why I went to the Stenner pump and drum.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Any ideas of where to place the liquidator? Can I just disconnect the chlorine feeder and/or ozone and tie into those lines?
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Hook the outlet of the LQ to the drain port where the ozonator is hooked to now and hook the inlet of the LQ where the tablet feeder is hooked now. That should work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Hook the outlet of the LQ to the drain port where the ozonator is hooked to now and hook the inlet of the LQ where the tablet feeder is hooked now. That should work.
    Thanks. Also, there seems to be an extra port on the pump. Can I use that and leave the ozonator working? I know it doesn't do much but more sanitation the better.

12. Back To Top    #12

We've had lots of reports where ozonators have caused more problems than they've solved so I wouldn't recommend it, BUT if you really want to leave it hooked up then you can use the other drain plug port for the outlet of the LQ.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Just got the liquidator and the entry points are too big for the supplied parts. Should I just go to home depot / pool store for replacements? I simply do not want to drill into my piping. Thanks.

14. Back To Top    #14

Lowes or home Depot will bushings or adapters that will work for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Unrelated but I like how your plumbing looks Dave, do you know if they painted it before or after install? I would guess before but thought I'd ask.
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskies21
    Unrelated but I like how your plumbing looks Dave, do you know if they painted it before or after install? I would guess before but thought I'd ask.
    Thanks. The builder actually did it after install. It does blend with the house a lot better.