Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: multiple skimmers?

1. Back To Top    #1

multiple skimmers?

Due to some crazy local zoning issues...I have a round AGP that I can't use and an oval AGP that will be getting installed in two weeks. They are both Doughboy pools and they both came with the same skimmer. The oval pool has two skimmer cutouts. Is there any advantage to having two skimmers, seeing as I already have the equipment, or is this setup just more hassle? The oval is 18x34.

Thanks!
    Jeremy
    18 x 34 Doughboy AGP
    Hayward sand filter(need to look up the model #)
    1 HP Hayward pump(need to find the model on that too!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: multiple skimmers?

There are some advantages and some fairly minor hassles. It is simpler to go with a single skimmer, but if you are up for a little more work, having two works better than one. Mostly you have two skimmer baskets to clean out (extra work), and there is some small additional chance of leaks. To balance that out, you have more places for debris to go, so the skimmer(s) don't need to be cleaned out as often. There is also a slight increase in water flow, as there is less total resistance to flow.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: multiple skimmers?

So...if I have two skimmers do I need two returns? I'm just thinking from a plumbing perspective.
    18 x 34 Doughboy AGP
    Hayward sand filter(need to look up the model #)
    1 HP Hayward pump(need to find the model on that too!)