CYA for SWG and all day full sun

May 22, 2013
St Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Pool School suggests CYA levels around 80 for a SWG pool, or a pool that gets a lot of sun... What about a SWG pool that gets full sun from approx 8am-6pm?

Also, where is a good place to purchase dry stabilizer.. Home Depot/Lowe's.. Walmart? After all the backwashing & vacuuming to waste from an algae issue, our CYA has dropped to 0. Gotta get that up ASAP!

Thanks!
Cathy

You want CYA around 70 to 80. CYA levels above 80 cause problems for unrelated reasons, so that is the upper limit regardless of circumstances.

Places like WalMart/Home Depot/Lowes often have CYA, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. Look for products that are 95+% cyanuric acid. If you can't find it there you can get it from Amazon or a pool store.

Hi Cathy9887:

That's a lot of sun to me. My M.O. when it comes to CYA is to start off at the lower end of the recommended range and see how your FC consumption is. If the consumption is too high, you can always add more CYA if needed.

I have purchased the granular stabilizer at Lowe's. It is also available at most pool stores (may have to go in there occasionally :wink: ) and online.

CYA of 70 is working perfect for me. I'm only 2 hours north of you, my pool also gets absolutely no shade all day.
My swg (pentair ic60) was working a lot harder when I had my CYA at 50 vs. now at 70.

Cathy9887 said:
Pool School suggests CYA levels around 80 for a SWG pool, or a pool that gets a lot of sun... What about a SWG pool that gets full sun from approx 8am-6pm?

Also, where is a good place to purchase dry stabilizer.. Home Depot/Lowe's.. Walmart? After all the backwashing & vacuuming to waste from an algae issue, our CYA has dropped to 0. Gotta get that up ASAP!

Thanks!
Cathy
Still 80 and yes, any of those places would be a good place to shop. Just check the labels for something above about 96% active ingredient and no copper compounds. And it's better to aim low. You can always add more later if you come up short, but I'm sure you're tired of draining.

17 lbs is what Pool Calculator calls for.. if my pH is 7.2 right now, should I raise it? And with all that said, are your number range suggestions more desirable than those on our IntelliChlor start guide paper?
pH: 7.2-7.8 (that's a wide range!)
TA: 80-120
CYA: 30-50

This wasn't meant as an argumentative question.. I know you guys have reasons behind your recommendations, and thus the different suggested numbers may make total sense. I suppose my inexperience & ignorance of it all makes me super nervous (I'm a bit of a control freak).

So, my 2 big questions (this time) are:
* At which point should I aim to keep my pH?
* Set CYA at 70 despite rec'd 30-50 from IntelliChlor?

Thanks, dears!!

Our recommendations can be found here, pool-school/recommended_levels.

Your SWG will perform better with the CYA at 70-80.

Keeping the pH in the 7.5 - 7.8 range is most likely the least amount of adjustments for you. If the TA is above 80 ppm, then lowering the pH to 7.2 will allow the TA to lower some more over time. Your TA should be 60-80 which will help stabilize the pH drift.

The big one you don't mention is the FC level compared to IntelliChlor's suggestions. We recommend the FC to be 3-5 ppm with the 70 ppm CYA level. See this chart, pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.