Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA for SWG and all day full sun

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA for SWG and all day full sun

Pool School suggests CYA levels around 80 for a SWG pool, or a pool that gets a lot of sun... What about a SWG pool that gets full sun from approx 8am-6pm?

Also, where is a good place to purchase dry stabilizer.. Home Depot/Lowe's.. Walmart? After all the backwashing & vacuuming to waste from an algae issue, our CYA has dropped to 0. Gotta get that up ASAP!

Thanks!
    Cathy
    28,600 gal, IG vinyl, St. Louis, MO - Installed: 09/2012
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA for SWG and all day full sun

You want CYA around 70 to 80. CYA levels above 80 cause problems for unrelated reasons, so that is the upper limit regardless of circumstances.

Places like WalMart/Home Depot/Lowes often have CYA, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. Look for products that are 95+% cyanuric acid. If you can't find it there you can get it from Amazon or a pool store.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Cathy9887:

That's a lot of sun to me. My M.O. when it comes to CYA is to start off at the lower end of the recommended range and see how your FC consumption is. If the consumption is too high, you can always add more CYA if needed.

I have purchased the granular stabilizer at Lowe's. It is also available at most pool stores (may have to go in there occasionally ) and online.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA of 70 is working perfect for me. I'm only 2 hours north of you, my pool also gets absolutely no shade all day.
    My swg (pentair ic60) was working a lot harder when I had my CYA at 50 vs. now at 70.
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy9887
    Pool School suggests CYA levels around 80 for a SWG pool, or a pool that gets a lot of sun... What about a SWG pool that gets full sun from approx 8am-6pm?

Also, where is a good place to purchase dry stabilizer.. Home Depot/Lowe's.. Walmart? After all the backwashing & vacuuming to waste from an algae issue, our CYA has dropped to 0. Gotta get that up ASAP!

Thanks!
    Cathy
    Still 80 and yes, any of those places would be a good place to shop. Just check the labels for something above about 96% active ingredient and no copper compounds. And it's better to aim low. You can always add more later if you come up short, but I'm sure you're tired of draining.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.. and apologies, I think I may have accidentally double posted this.

Yep, you did. Merged threads and deleted one duplicate. Butterfly
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

7. Back To Top    #7

17 lbs is what Pool Calculator calls for.. if my pH is 7.2 right now, should I raise it? And with all that said, are your number range suggestions more desirable than those on our IntelliChlor start guide paper?
    pH: 7.2-7.8 (that's a wide range!)
    TA: 80-120
    CYA: 30-50

8. Back To Top    #8

This wasn't meant as an argumentative question.. I know you guys have reasons behind your recommendations, and thus the different suggested numbers may make total sense. I suppose my inexperience & ignorance of it all makes me super nervous (I'm a bit of a control freak).

So, my 2 big questions (this time) are:
    * At which point should I aim to keep my pH?
    * Set CYA at 70 despite rec'd 30-50 from IntelliChlor?

Thanks, dears!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Our recommendations can be found here, pool-school/recommended_levels.

Your SWG will perform better with the CYA at 70-80.

Keeping the pH in the 7.5 - 7.8 range is most likely the least amount of adjustments for you. If the TA is above 80 ppm, then lowering the pH to 7.2 will allow the TA to lower some more over time. Your TA should be 60-80 which will help stabilize the pH drift.

The big one you don't mention is the FC level compared to IntelliChlor's suggestions. We recommend the FC to be 3-5 ppm with the 70 ppm CYA level. See this chart, pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process