Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded photos

Oct 5, 2010
Ohio
I have been meaning to hard plumb my pool for ages. Due to a breakage my hand was forced and today I finally got it done.
As there are always loads of questions on this topic and complaints that the photo links are dead. I thought I should document the process with lots of embedded photos that will remain with the post.

First go to Lowes to the electrical aisle and get a 1-1/2" box connector made by Carlon (E996H) for each connection you need to make. See photo 1
[attachment=1:mlgb9yk7]collage 1.jpg[/attachment:mlgb9yk7]

I believe the is also an identical item made by Cantex, this may be the E950HG adapter from Home Depot.

When you get these home you will seem some raised lettering on the flanged end(Photo 2)
Lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the adapter up and down a few times tosmoothe the flange surface. I'm not sure whether this is strictly necessary but won't do any harm and may prevent a leak(Photo 3)

Next cut the hose nuts from your Intex hose (Photo 4)if you are using the one piece nuts. Obviously if you are using the 2 piece ones just unscrew them.
[attachment=0:mlgb9yk7]Collage 2.jpg[/attachment:mlgb9yk7]

You are now ready to glue the adapter into the fitting or coupling you are using m In photo 5 I am gluing it into a 90 degree elbow. Just remember to thread the adapter through the nut before you glue it! You also will want to leave a small gap that you can slip a saw into to cut the nut free should you ever need to re-plumb for any reason.

Next remove the old plunger valve from the pool and screw on the new adapter/fitting assembly using the black "L" gasket from the old valve (Photo 6). I managed to swap it out without much water loss by placing a thin plastic bag over the outlet inside the pool.

In the final picture the pipes are all assembled but are not yet glued.
[attachment=2:mlgb9yk7]finished product.jpg[/attachment:mlgb9yk7]
Amazingly when I turned the pump on there were no leaks nor did there seem to be any air being sucked into the lines. It looked like it may be difficult to re-attach once everything was glued up, so given thatthis is on suction side, I am debating whether to leave it as is. Some of the parts I am not even sure if I can get apart to glue even if I want to.

I hope this has been helpful, feel free to ask for clarification.

Jeremy.

Attachments

• finished product.jpg
    finished product.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 3,216
  • collage 1.jpg
    collage 1.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 3,116
  • Collage 2.jpg
    Collage 2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3,079
Reactions: PaulaA36 and Wndy
Re: Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded ph

I ordered 8 from Menards (special order only - not on shelve). I am concerned about the effects of the pool flexing while connected to solid pvc. Doesn't that raise the possibility of stress tears? I believe it would help stabilize the skimmer instead of it hanging there but I'm not sure about everything else.

I just found another picture that shows what I meant when I said; "You also will want to leave a small gap that you can slip a saw into to cut the nut free should you ever need to re-plumb for any reason."
[attachment=0:2nb7mqup]Leave gap for future removal.jpg[/attachment:2nb7mqup]

As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words. :lol:

Attachments

• Leave gap for future removal.jpg
    Leave gap for future removal.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 2,913

Thanks Dave and Richard. I was trying to create something that would be useful and remain so without the reoccurring problem of photo links going "dead". It proved a little difficult with the 3 attachment upload limit so I apologize for the poor quality of the photos.

CeeElGee- yes that is a 1.5" elbow.

Where your custom fitting connects to the pool intake and return, do you have a flat rubber washer that keeps it from leaking at that connection?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

great thread! ordering parts now.

question... I want to hard plumb in a waterfall fountain. this one i just ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Splash-A-Round-Po ... +fountains

this is made to attach to the return jet. however, instead of attaching it to return jet (which i dont think it will fit on anyway) i want to T it off of the return line into a 3/4 or 1 inch pipe (thats what this one looks like it is, will know when i get it) and run it up to the side rail of my intex pool to where it will cascade into pool, but will be sort of hidden on the back side of pool since pvc isnt the prettiest creation man has ever made.

will it run ok with enough pressure if im running return jet and fountain at same time? i plan on a ball valve to turn fountain on / off when we want.

Figured I'd throw this direct link up for anyone like myself trying to find these adapters:

034481062653lg.jpg

Lowes

I searched Home Depot's website, but they have every size but the 1.5".

Just got my Intext SWG in the mail and realized I was an idiot! I pre-purchased my adapters completely forgetting I'd need 1 for BOTH ends of the hose! DOH!! So make sure you make an accurate count people. I figure with a pump and swg I need 6.. i like to get 1-2 extra just in case.

Hi Gasczar - thanks for consolidating some of the info from the older longer threads and adding embedded pics. Even when the links to some pics aren't dead, many of the external photo hosting sites are blocked at work which makes it tough to tell if there is even a pic there. :)

I have questions about a few details missing:

1) I see where you used the "L" gasket from the old plunger valve to go between the top of the box connector and the pool inlet/outlet. Don't we also need a gasket between the underside of the box connector flange and the hose nut? It seems like that would leak.
2) I have the same skimmer as you. What is that black section between the skimmer basket and the hose nut? Is it simply a 1.5" male threaded pipe that you screwed into both? Are there gaskets in there on both sides?
3) Where your piping approaches the pump it takes a 90 degree turn upwards. What is that light blue thingy mid-way up, prior to the last 90 degree turn before the pump?

I'm planning to use the Hayward inlet that came with the skimmer so I have one less modification to work on. Last year I blocked off the Intex outlet, I only had water coming through the skimmer and I didn't seem to have any problems not pulling water in from below the water line. How much benefit do you folks think that really adds (splitting up the pump feed between a skimmer AND wall outlet)?

Thanks!!

@joshuaberman
We purchased our Intex Ultra-Frame last year. I just measured the factory return fittings, and they measure just at 2 1/4". Not sure if that's what you're referring to or not, but it's easy enough to make adapters for those. Another user asked if there was a PVC thread that would fit the Intex thread so as to bypass having to make an adapter, but I've never seen one.

Curious if anyone has had luck reusing the newer design Intex valves with a 2" thread reduced to 1 1/2" pipe. Bought some PVC parts this weekend and it seems like it would work. (Bought everything else just in case it won't.)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Hi Joshua :) I've been toying with this idea for ages... I have the new intex strainer connectors that I just installed in my liner..... The measurement of the actual connection to the hose fits an intex hose with the nut. Its 2 inches.... I've decided instead of stuffing around with reducers, I'm just going to go with 2 inch pvc flexi hose with 2 inch pvc elbows and ball valves... My pump has 2 inch and 1 1/2 inch connections so I went the path of least resistance... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.