Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded photos

1. Back To Top    #1

Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded photos

I have been meaning to hard plumb my pool for ages. Due to a breakage my hand was forced and today I finally got it done.
    As there are always loads of questions on this topic and complaints that the photo links are dead. I thought I should document the process with lots of embedded photos that will remain with the post.

First go to Lowes to the electrical aisle and get a 1-1/2" box connector made by Carlon (E996H) for each connection you need to make. See photo 1
    [attachment=1:mlgb9yk7]collage 1.jpg[/attachment:mlgb9yk7]

I believe the is also an identical item made by Cantex, this may be the E950HG adapter from Home Depot.

When you get these home you will seem some raised lettering on the flanged end(Photo 2)
    Lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the adapter up and down a few times tosmoothe the flange surface. I'm not sure whether this is strictly necessary but won't do any harm and may prevent a leak(Photo 3)

Next cut the hose nuts from your Intex hose (Photo 4)if you are using the one piece nuts. Obviously if you are using the 2 piece ones just unscrew them.
    [attachment=0:mlgb9yk7]Collage 2.jpg[/attachment:mlgb9yk7]

You are now ready to glue the adapter into the fitting or coupling you are using m In photo 5 I am gluing it into a 90 degree elbow. Just remember to thread the adapter through the nut before you glue it! You also will want to leave a small gap that you can slip a saw into to cut the nut free should you ever need to re-plumb for any reason.

Next remove the old plunger valve from the pool and screw on the new adapter/fitting assembly using the black "L" gasket from the old valve (Photo 6). I managed to swap it out without much water loss by placing a thin plastic bag over the outlet inside the pool.

In the final picture the pipes are all assembled but are not yet glued.
    [attachment=2:mlgb9yk7]finished product.jpg[/attachment:mlgb9yk7]
    Amazingly when I turned the pump on there were no leaks nor did there seem to be any air being sucked into the lines. It looked like it may be difficult to re-attach once everything was glued up, so given thatthis is on suction side, I am debating whether to leave it as is. Some of the parts I am not even sure if I can get apart to glue even if I want to.

I hope this has been helpful, feel free to ask for clarification.

Jeremy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Saltwater 8000 27' Round x 54". 17000 gallons
    Intex SWG
    Hayward Power Flo 3/4HP pump-Hayward Perflex EC40 DE Filter-Hayward
    H250 Natural gas Heater-My own gas well in back yard ;-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded ph

Thanks for posting this Jeremy Many people ask about this.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I ordered 8 from Menards (special order only - not on shelve). I am concerned about the effects of the pool flexing while connected to solid pvc. Doesn't that raise the possibility of stress tears? I believe it would help stabilize the skimmer instead of it hanging there but I'm not sure about everything else.
    Rick - Illinois
    14 x 42 Intex Ultra Frame
    SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I just found another picture that shows what I meant when I said; "You also will want to leave a small gap that you can slip a saw into to cut the nut free should you ever need to re-plumb for any reason."
    [attachment=0:2nb7mqup]Leave gap for future removal.jpg[/attachment:2nb7mqup]

As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

This thread needs to go up in the additional reading in pool school so we can find it again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

What size is your PVC elbow? Is that also 1.5"?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Dave and Richard. I was trying to create something that would be useful and remain so without the reoccurring problem of photo links going "dead". It proved a little difficult with the 3 attachment upload limit so I apologize for the poor quality of the photos.

CeeElGee- yes that is a 1.5" elbow.
    Intex SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Excellent!
    + 1 !!!!!!

TY!!!!!
    Intex Ultra Frame 20' x 52"
    Hayward Pro 1hp Power-Flo LX/ 18" Sand Filter
    12-4'x8'x1" Polystyrene Sheets

10. Back To Top    #10

Where your custom fitting connects to the pool intake and return, do you have a flat rubber washer that keeps it from leaking at that connection?
    Hard plumbed 4 year old 20x48 Ultra Frame
    Thru-wall skimmer
    Hayward Matrix sp5610 pump. Hayward 19" filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

great thread! ordering parts now.

question... I want to hard plumb in a waterfall fountain. this one i just ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Splash-A-Round-Po ... +fountains

this is made to attach to the return jet. however, instead of attaching it to return jet (which i dont think it will fit on anyway) i want to T it off of the return line into a 3/4 or 1 inch pipe (thats what this one looks like it is, will know when i get it) and run it up to the side rail of my intex pool to where it will cascade into pool, but will be sort of hidden on the back side of pool since pvc isnt the prettiest creation man has ever made.

will it run ok with enough pressure if im running return jet and fountain at same time? i plan on a ball valve to turn fountain on / off when we want.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Figured I'd throw this direct link up for anyone like myself trying to find these adapters:

Lowes

I searched Home Depot's website, but they have every size but the 1.5".
    6.3K gal , AG vinyl 20' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, .95 HP 2650GPH Intex 56671EG Sand Filter, 2011 Install

13. Back To Top    #13

Just got my Intext SWG in the mail and realized I was an idiot! I pre-purchased my adapters completely forgetting I'd need 1 for BOTH ends of the hose! DOH!! So make sure you make an accurate count people. I figure with a pump and swg I need 6.. i like to get 1-2 extra just in case.
    --- Pool Status - Ice Cube
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System
    Hayward Skimmer with (2) 1 1/2" Hayward Returns
    16mil Klear Choice Solar Blanket

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi Gasczar - thanks for consolidating some of the info from the older longer threads and adding embedded pics. Even when the links to some pics aren't dead, many of the external photo hosting sites are blocked at work which makes it tough to tell if there is even a pic there.

I have questions about a few details missing:

1) I see where you used the "L" gasket from the old plunger valve to go between the top of the box connector and the pool inlet/outlet. Don't we also need a gasket between the underside of the box connector flange and the hose nut? It seems like that would leak.
    2) I have the same skimmer as you. What is that black section between the skimmer basket and the hose nut? Is it simply a 1.5" male threaded pipe that you screwed into both? Are there gaskets in there on both sides?
    3) Where your piping approaches the pump it takes a 90 degree turn upwards. What is that light blue thingy mid-way up, prior to the last 90 degree turn before the pump?

I'm planning to use the Hayward inlet that came with the skimmer so I have one less modification to work on. Last year I blocked off the Intex outlet, I only had water coming through the skimmer and I didn't seem to have any problems not pulling water in from below the water line. How much benefit do you folks think that really adds (splitting up the pump feed between a skimmer AND wall outlet)?

Thanks!!
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm new to the forum and I don't know how to vote up a post or 'thank' the author (if this BB supports it), but this has been very helpful for me. Thank you.

16. Back To Top    #16

Re: Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded photos

great post lots of help

17. Back To Top    #17

Curious if anyone has had luck reusing the newer design Intex valves with a 2" thread reduced to 1 1/2" pipe. Bought some PVC parts this weekend and it seems like it would work. (Bought everything else just in case it won't.)

22'x52" Intex 10,472 gal. w/ 2650 Sand Filter, using Taylor K2006 Kit. BBB

My Build: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...x)-Will-update

18. Back To Top    #18

@joshuaberman
    We purchased our Intex Ultra-Frame last year. I just measured the factory return fittings, and they measure just at 2 1/4". Not sure if that's what you're referring to or not, but it's easy enough to make adapters for those. Another user asked if there was a PVC thread that would fit the Intex thread so as to bypass having to make an adapter, but I've never seen one.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaberman View Post
    Curious if anyone has had luck reusing the newer design Intex valves with a 2" thread reduced to 1 1/2" pipe. Bought some PVC parts this weekend and it seems like it would work. (Bought everything else just in case it won't.)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Hi Joshua I've been toying with this idea for ages... I have the new intex strainer connectors that I just installed in my liner..... The measurement of the actual connection to the hose fits an intex hose with the nut. Its 2 inches.... I've decided instead of stuffing around with reducers, I'm just going to go with 2 inch pvc flexi hose with 2 inch pvc elbows and ball valves... My pump has 2 inch and 1 1/2 inch connections so I went the path of least resistance...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

20. Back To Top    #20

"Bump"

Best thread that the pics work on my computer.

Thanks to the OP ....good stuff.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast