Recommendations for 18x36 IG build !!!!

DADx2

Jul 15, 2012
Atlanta Ga
I've been wanting to get started on building our pool for a while now. Challenges have been trees, a dramatic slope, and septic lines in the way. Well.... we've taken the jump and made some progress. Septic lines have been moved, trees taken down, and the pool area has been graded. Plan to erect the retaining wall in the next few days, which brings me to this question..... What equipment is recommended for our 18x36 rectangle liner pool ??? I am planning on a Heyward sand filter, a Polaris 280 cleaner, two skimmers, two main drains, 4 deck jets, and jets in the steps.

I am not necessarily a tightwad, but only have a limited budget.... So I am asking what is recommended for pool equipment to fill this need ??? ie main pump size ???..... secondary pump size for deck jets if necesssary ???....

Also want to know what salt system best fits our build ???

Thank you in advance, and look forward to learning and contributing !!!

Get the biggest sand filter you can within your budget. The bigger the better.

Defiantly go with a 2 speed pump if not a VSP. You could probably get by with a 2 speed but your deck jets may not work unless it is on the high speed and depending on how much you run them may end up costing some $ on your power bill. What is your electricity rates? With my variable speed I can set it at 2000 rpm which is a little more than half the power at (480) watts and it will filter and run my deck jets fine. If I turn it up to 3400 rpm I can run my 3 reruns 4 deck jets and 6 spa jets in my swim out. So it depends on how you plan on using it as to which pump would be best IMO.

As far as SWG go I would go with whatever pump brand you go with for a SWG. They will just work together better. I have a Hayward ecostar and aqua logic. The ecostar can be controlled on its own or can be hooked up to the aqua logic to run programs from it. This would be the same for each brand. They just play well together but not when mixed and matched.

You will not need a seperate pump for your deck jets unless you wanted to get 2 small pumps for each. Like a 1/2 or 3/4 hp 2 speed for your pool and 1/2 to 1hp pump for your deck jets. Personally I would run them from the same pump and controlled with a never lube valve.

+1 what kyle11 said.....my thoughts almost exactly. If the deck jets are a really important part of your pool, you may need a 2-speed 1.5 hp pump to push them as high as you want, although it is overkill for simply maintaining your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.