help need to select pump, single speed or variable?

May 14, 2013
austin/texas
I am about to choose a PB for my 15x35 fiberglass salt water pool and need to make a decision if I should go with the standard 1HP pentair whisperflo pump or upgrade to the variable speed intelliflo 8 speed variable pump for an additional $700 (total cost is $1,000 but my energy company will reimburse $300). Are they really that much more efficient? By the way my electricity cost is 9.7 cents/kWh in winter and 14.9 cents/KWh in the summer during peak hours at highest rate for more than 2,500 KWh/per month, 13.1 cents between 1,500 and 2,500 KWh (by the way my total consumption now without the pool is 1,750 KwH during summer months at peak A/C usage).

Do you have any special water features like deck jets fountains or spa jets? If so the control a VSP gives may be worth it. I know it was for me. I can run at 1200rpm which is around 200 watts for filtration. At 2200 rpm (1100 watts)for filtration and deck jets. Then at 3400rpm (1800 watts) to run all them at the same time which is rare. I have about the same rates as you and my power went up $18 per month which is crazy since a co worker got a pool at the same time but didn't want to spend the extra money on a 2 speed or VSP. Their electrical went up $200 prr month. I think a 2 speed would be somewhere in the middle probably $40-$50 in my instance of how I would have it set up to run different things. If you just have filtration to worry about then a 2 speed is a no brainer. But if you have more than that and want control over how much power you use a VSP may be your best option. Hayward has a thing on their site that will tell you how much each pump would cost to operate your pool on your rates. May want to check that out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is WAY overpowered for what you need ... it will cost you a lot more in electricity to be running that hog over a Superflo 1HP 2-speed on low.

The cost for the Whisperflo 2HP is well over the Superflo 1HP 2-speed ... I would try to change it ... save money up front and on electricity.

Ya as jblizzle stated. It will cost a lot more to run that thing. My friends installed a pool the same time we did last year and got a 2hp single speed because that's what the PB said they needed. Their electricity bill went up $200 while mine went up $20 a month.

FYI a quick look online had the Whisperflo 2HP 1-speed at ~$550 and the Superflo 1HP 2-speed at ~$425

Now with a 2-speed you can either add a timer to automatically switch the speeds, or just use a manual toggle switch (which the Superflo comes with). If you just use the toggle switch on the motor, the installation of either pump is exactly the same, so the labor charge should not be different.

A true VS pump typically has a digital timer on it that would be able to control the speeds. One of the small VS pumps would give you flexibility with the speeds.

In reality, you may run on low speed 99% of the time and only need to flip on high speed for vacuuming and backwashing your filter.

Depends ...
Do you need a bunch of different speeds or need to dial in a specific speed?
How much more $ is the VS over the 2-speed upfront? It may take a few years to recoup the initial higher cost in electricity savings.

Not sure what I need in terms of speed, looking at what makes sense for my pool setup I am trying to buy, and get guidance on pump I need. I am waiting on PB to tell me if there is a price difference on my quote for going 1HP 2 speed vs 2HP single speed, VS 1HP Variable speed.

so i got response from PB regarding pumps and here are my options:
1. Included in original bid: IntelliFlo 1.5 hp 2 Speed(correction it is SuperFlo 1.5HP, 2-speed)
2. upgrade $824: IntelliFlo i1 1hp Variable Speed
3. upgrade $824:IntelliFlo Variable 8-Speed
4. upgrade $1058: IntelliFlo VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump
BTW, he did indicate that prices are cheaper on the internet, but that is his wholesale cost.

Which one you guys suggest I go with?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.