Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help need to select pump, single speed or variable?

1. Back To Top    #1

help need to select pump, single speed or variable?

I am about to choose a PB for my 15x35 fiberglass salt water pool and need to make a decision if I should go with the standard 1HP pentair whisperflo pump or upgrade to the variable speed intelliflo 8 speed variable pump for an additional $700 (total cost is $1,000 but my energy company will reimburse $300). Are they really that much more efficient? By the way my electricity cost is 9.7 cents/kWh in winter and 14.9 cents/KWh in the summer during peak hours at highest rate for more than 2,500 KWh/per month, 13.1 cents between 1,500 and 2,500 KWh (by the way my total consumption now without the pool is 1,750 KwH during summer months at peak A/C usage).
    34x15, 17K Fiberglass In-Ground Leisure Morroccan SWG, 1 1/2HP 2 speed SuperfFlo pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, Installed August 2013, Fiberstar 3-color LEDs, AquaBot AWD robot cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch 8 Wireless remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help need to select pump, single speed or variable?

Your electrical costs are lower than where we would recommend a VS pump. A 2 speed might make more sense because of the lower upfront cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you, I've read that from few other posters also. Do you happen to know if the pentair 1HP whisperflo is a 2 speed pump? (sorry if it's a silly rookie question)
    34x15, 17K Fiberglass In-Ground Leisure Morroccan SWG, 1 1/2HP 2 speed SuperfFlo pump, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, Installed August 2013, Fiberstar 3-color LEDs, AquaBot AWD robot cleaner, Pentair Easy Touch 8 Wireless remote.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a version of that pump that is 2 speed. Check out their website.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have any special water features like deck jets fountains or spa jets? If so the control a VSP gives may be worth it. I know it was for me. I can run at 1200rpm which is around 200 watts for filtration. At 2200 rpm (1100 watts)for filtration and deck jets. Then at 3400rpm (1800 watts) to run all them at the same time which is rare. I have about the same rates as you and my power went up $18 per month which is crazy since a co worker got a pool at the same time but didn't want to spend the extra money on a 2 speed or VSP. Their electrical went up $200 prr month. I think a 2 speed would be somewhere in the middle probably $40-$50 in my instance of how I would have it set up to run different things. If you just have filtration to worry about then a 2 speed is a no brainer. But if you have more than that and want control over how much power you use a VSP may be your best option. Hayward has a thing on their site that will tell you how much each pump would cost to operate your pool on your rates. May want to check that out.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

6. Back To Top    #6

I have no special water features or spa. Just the filter. Also no pressure cleaner planning to get a robot cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosp
    I have no special water features or spa. Just the filter. Also no pressure cleaner planning to get a robot cleaner.
    Then a small 2 speed pump would be perfect for you.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

8. Back To Top    #8

Agree with advice so far also want to remind you that you can avoid pumping during peak hours to save even more.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

In reality, even the 1 hp 2 speed Whisperflo is likely larger than you need. The 1 hp 2 speed Superflo should be plenty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Actually the pump is the Pentair Whisperflo 2HP 1 speed, Standard Efficiency Full Rated WF-8 #011582. Is that ok?

11. Back To Top    #11

That is WAY overpowered for what you need ... it will cost you a lot more in electricity to be running that hog over a Superflo 1HP 2-speed on low.

The cost for the Whisperflo 2HP is well over the Superflo 1HP 2-speed ... I would try to change it ... save money up front and on electricity.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Ya as jblizzle stated. It will cost a lot more to run that thing. My friends installed a pool the same time we did last year and got a 2hp single speed because that's what the PB said they needed. Their electricity bill went up $200 while mine went up $20 a month.

13. Back To Top    #13

thanks for all the help. I reached out to PB about getting a Pentair 1HP 2 speed pump and see what price difference is.

14. Back To Top    #14

FYI a quick look online had the Whisperflo 2HP 1-speed at ~$550 and the Superflo 1HP 2-speed at ~$425

Now with a 2-speed you can either add a timer to automatically switch the speeds, or just use a manual toggle switch (which the Superflo comes with). If you just use the toggle switch on the motor, the installation of either pump is exactly the same, so the labor charge should not be different.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Forgive me if question seems ignorant, but if I was to install a 1HP variable speed would that eliminate the need to manually toggle switch on the 2 speed or adding a timer?

16. Back To Top    #16

A true VS pump typically has a digital timer on it that would be able to control the speeds. One of the small VS pumps would give you flexibility with the speeds.

In reality, you may run on low speed 99% of the time and only need to flip on high speed for vacuuming and backwashing your filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

so it's better I go with a 1HP VS instead of 1HP 2 speed then?

18. Back To Top    #18

Depends ...
    Do you need a bunch of different speeds or need to dial in a specific speed?
    How much more $ is the VS over the 2-speed upfront? It may take a few years to recoup the initial higher cost in electricity savings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Not sure what I need in terms of speed, looking at what makes sense for my pool setup I am trying to buy, and get guidance on pump I need. I am waiting on PB to tell me if there is a price difference on my quote for going 1HP 2 speed vs 2HP single speed, VS 1HP Variable speed.

20. Back To Top    #20

so i got response from PB regarding pumps and here are my options:
    1. Included in original bid: IntelliFlo 1.5 hp 2 Speed(correction it is SuperFlo 1.5HP, 2-speed)
    2. upgrade $824: IntelliFlo i1 1hp Variable Speed
    3. upgrade $824:IntelliFlo Variable 8-Speed
    4. upgrade $1058: IntelliFlo VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump
    BTW, he did indicate that prices are cheaper on the internet, but that is his wholesale cost.

Which one you guys suggest I go with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast