Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drain Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drain Repair

Hi all!

Now that we're back into pool season, we're looking to repair our main drain, which we lost in a rather awful liner replacement experience with a local PB (seriously, you didn't pressure-check the lines?! ).

Anyway, we've begun the dig and uncovered the lines, along with some interesting buried concrete work (more on that later). None of them pressure-check below the frost line unfortunately. Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

On to the pictures!

Day 1: The digging begins!

Day 2: Further down the rabbit hole.... (now we can stand under the pool deck!)

See that concrete down there? Surprisingly, the pipe doesn't come out the other end - it disappears into the concrete. Upon further excavation under the concrete, we found an older pipe embedded in the concrete running back towards the pool wall, perpendicular to the visible black pipe the runs into it. Any thoughts about this?

Will update with more as we progress! Any help would be appreciated.
    27,000 gal. vinyl in-ground pool w/ 1.5" piping, 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, Hayward Pro Series sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main Drain Repair

Better you than me!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know your soil conditions, but I would strongly recommend you stay out of that hole. It looks extremely dangerous to me. You have thousands of gallons of water on the other side and you are removing the support for the wall.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I don't know your soil conditions, but I would strongly recommend you stay out of that hole. It looks extremely dangerous to me. You have thousands of gallons of water on the other side and you are removing the support for the wall.
    Mostly a lot of clay and heavy packed dirt. I'm in upstate NY, so we've got pretty good soil compared to some other places I've seen on here.

I do see your point though. Any other way to go about this that would be safer, or should we just give up and move on with just the skimmer?
    27,000 gal. vinyl in-ground pool w/ 1.5" piping, 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, Hayward Pro Series sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you need the main drain? My pool had the main drain sealed years ago. I have to agree that getting in that hole seems pretty scary to me... although I have done my share of "hey, somebody hold my beer and watch this" type things in my life.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014