Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness

I'm confused as to why this test is necessary. Does the hardness affect any of the other chemical components one way or another?? If I'm getting 140 on a calcium hardness test isn't that ok?? Why would I want to make my pool water harder.

Also, how often would I want to test for calcium hardness?? Is say once a week enough??

Thanks!!

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    I'm confused as to why this test is necessary. Does the hardness affect any of the other chemical components one way or another?? If I'm getting 140 on a calcium hardness test isn't that ok?? Why would I want to make my pool water harder.

Also, how often would I want to test for calcium hardness?? Is say once a week enough??

Thanks!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk
    For your pool, low CH is no problem. But high CH can lead to scaling, and you can't attack it with a steel brush. If you're only at 140, I'd suspect you don't have hard water, so every couple weeks ought to be plenty.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It's important to make sure in a vinyl pool you don't have too much CH (you don't)

It's VERY important in a masonry pool to make sure you don't have too much or too little. Too little in a masonry pool can leach calcium from the masonry.

CH is pretty darn stable and I would say testing 3- 4 times in the swim season is certainly enough.

(Richard320 beat me)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

We just moved into the house and as my wife said after her first shower. "The water seems very hard here". I will keep an eye on it every few weeks. Local pool store wanted me to raise my hardness. Go figure...

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    We just moved into the house and as my wife said after her first shower. "The water seems very hard here". I will keep an eye on it every few weeks. Local pool store wanted me to raise my hardness. Go figure...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk
    Of course!

Hardness Increaser is a high markup item.

So's Alkalinity Increaser - baking soda at 4X or 5X the price you can buy the exact same thing at Costco, but Costco's doesn't come in a spiffy plastic pail.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm begining to understand...its all finally sinking in now...I see the light as they say!