Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with the filter losing water thru the backwash outle

1. Back To Top    #1
    Lower West Michigan

Problem with the filter losing water thru the backwash outle

The way my filter is set up the backwash outlet goes directly into a pvc pip that goes underground into a drainage tile which takes the water to the front yard and ultimately in the street if it does not get absorbed into the ground so I never really see the water. That seems a little different than what most people do but that is the way it was when I moved in and it works.

I was losing water for a while and just recently found two leaks in the pipes and fixed those. I also got ambitious and decided to change the sand in the filter. All went well until I got the thing put back together.

I was rinsing the filter and realized I did not have the backwash pipe connected all the way. Other than spraying water all over no big deal. I switched the pump off and the filter over to "filter" and noticed water was still pouring out of the backwash outlet. I donít know if it was doing that for a long time because of the other leaks.

I am assuming that is not normal behavior for the filter. Is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole filter head? Could this be something I did wrong when I changed the filter? For now I simply stuck a plug in the backwash outlet. When I need to backwash I will simply hook the pipe back up but I would like to have a more long term fix.

My filter is a Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo T-240BP-1

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Problem with the filter losing water thru the backwash o

You have a bad spider gasket. exploded view is on page 9. Your local pool store will probably have the rebuild parts in stock, unless they're sold out this time of year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!