Pump and Filter Question for New 27 foot round ABP install

First off - newbie here.

Long time lurker as I read many posts to get to the point of feeling comfortable enough to make my pool purchase.

To introduce myself, I am about to be a new above ground pool owner in central Texas. Install is this weekend.

I have a question on filters and pumps - but need to provide some background info in hopes that someone has advice to give.

My installation is a mixture of a new pool, and two options of used filter/pump hardware that I came in to free for some trades of items recently. One set comes from a used above ground pool, another from a used in ground pool. Not sure if there is a usage difference.

My pool is a 27 foot round Sharkline Venture pool. No questions here.

My questions come in to options for filters and pump.

Filter options are:

Pentair SD60 Sand Filter (above ground sand filter which is used) or a Hayward C17502S (in ground cartridge filter also used)

And my pump options are:

Hayward SP2615X20 Super Pump High Performance 2HP Pool Pump (in ground pool pump - 2 inch connections, used) or a Pentair Dynamo DYN11 pump (looks like its motor has been replaced at least once and seen some heavy use).

Are any of these worth messing with to get my pool up and running? Are the in ground pool parts different enough they don't fit the need or use of an above ground pool?

Thanks in advance.
Brian...

Re: Pump and Filter Question for New 27 foot round ABP insta

Welcome to TFP! The Pentair filter is only a 200 lb. filter and only rated at 60 gpm flow. The 2hp pool pump is overkill for your pool with either filter. I'd use the Pentair of the two. The cartridge filter is a 175 sq. ft. filter.

Welcome to TFP.

The cart filter seems to be a good size. For the pump I would go with 1hp 2speed. That would be plenty for your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

linen said:
I agree the 2 hp is way too much pump. Do you have more to the model of the dynamo? DYNII just tells us it is in the dynamo line.

Thanks for the welcome and the responses.

Answering the question above is difficult. All I have marked for a model number is: DYNII-N1-11/2 (marked also on motor as 1 1/2 HP).

When everyone says "too much pump" what does this mean? Does this impact filtration? Too much power consumption (and noise?)

The larger pumps move more water and use more electricity. If the pump is too big for the filter it can also reduce filtration quality.

If all you need the pump to do is circulate the water for filtration, then a small pump under 1 hp is plenty. A 2 speed would save even more electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.